Roots review by Sepultura

Sepultura: Roots

Roots is the seventh Sepultura's release and also the last with guitarist/vocalist Max Cavalera. Released in 1996, it is a continuation of Chaos AD (1993), that was the first Sepultura's album on which metal is mixed with tribal music. In all the songs we can hear tribal instruments (percussions for example), like in "Ratamahatta", surely the most rock'n'roll song of the band ever or"Ambush". There also two instrumental songs, "Jasco" (a beautiful acoustic guitar solo) and "Itsari" (recorded with the Xavantes tribe). The rest of the songs are quite low ("Roots Bloody Roots", "Attitude"), except for "Dictatorshit" and "Born Stubborn' but remain very violent.

Roots' lyrics are neither religious nor political-involved, except for "Dictatorshit" (originally, the word "dictatorship" means a South American dictature). These lyrics are more abstract and speak for example of city dangers, like on "Breed Apart". Max Cavalera screams like on Chaos AD, and has a voice a bit influenced by death metal. Korn's singer Jonathan Davis appears on "Lookaway", and Ramazzotti sings a few verses on the "Roost Bloody Roots" anthem.

Finally, this album is both low and violent, and Sepultura is very influenced by tribal music. They started to mix metal with tribal sounds on the Chaos AD album ("Kaiowas") and continued with Against, released in 1998 ("Reza"), recorded with singer Derrick Green. Roots' most impressive songs are surely "Roots Bloody Roots", the best-known song of the band, "Attitude" and "Ratamahatta". In conclusion, if you enjoy Sepultura and don't have this album you're a loser!

Filip413
    zeroterminus
    no offense who like this album but i don't really like it as much as their older shit like schizophrenia and arise not enough brutal lyrics but then again they did experiment but hey, to me this album suxx ass but its better to have max than derrick right?
    postmortem2006
    Zecromancer wrote: There's nothing wrong with reviewing a 12 year old album. I like "Roots", although I haven't heard any of their other albums.
    BUY BENEATH THE REMAINS!!
    postmortem2006
    Mass_debator wrote: SRV101 wrote: Sepultura's worst with Max. I think you're forgetting about Morbid Visions there bud!
    Morbid Visions is an amazing album. Its just got the crappiest sound quality ever thats all haha. the soings are actually really ****ing good
    Mass_debator
    SRV101 wrote: Sepultura's worst with Max.
    I think you're forgetting about Morbid Visions there bud! Don't really know how I feel about this album, some days I love the shit out of it, others I'm pretty impartial. Depends on my mood, I never hate it though. BTR/Arise/Choas AD= ownage. Havign said that, Straighthate is the most brutal song Sepultura ever recorded IMO, always a good thing.
    SRV101
    Sepultura's worst with Max. I like only three songs on this whole album. Early Sepultura=insane. Everything after Chaos AD=not so good.
    NorCalLos
    Now that I think about it, I think the live stuff was from an Ozzfest compilation or something.
    NorCalLos
    This album was sick, but I personally like their live album best. Some of the old studio albums sound dated because of the production. The live album kicks bloody hemmrhoids.
    TheAmenCorner89
    Not their best album but still a great one (best being 'Arise'), despite the somewhat 'nu metal' sounds it still sounds far better than most other nu metal albums. Love 'Roots Bloody Roots' 'Attitude' and 'Cut Throat'
    Phe4rTheGod
    awesome album...these homos bashing prob. bang their heads and dance to the likeness of spears and fagout boy...
    manutd4lyf
    donnervogel1985 wrote: "and Ramazzotti sings a few verses on the "Roost Bloody Roots" anthem" that happens when you write a review of an album BUT ARE TOO GODDAMN GREEDY TO BUY IT. obviously someone took the spoof-version of roots bloody roots by the german band JBO and labeled it as the original on the p2p-network the dear reviewer pirated the album from. it is a high quality spoof though, if you are not aware of the fact that its one, you might even think its the original from sepultura.
    wat are u talking about...
    hanswurschd
    damn... next time make sure you have the correct songs (e.g. by BUYING the album) before you review an album. or just listen correctly to the songs, cause hannes' (from jbo) voice differs from max's a lot. btw... roots IS a great album
    sleepwalker16
    worst sepultura album, not worth spending money on, and the genres here are mislabled as well. Roots is like a combination of nu and death metal. BAD.
    donnervogel1985
    MetalManiacal
    webbtje wrote: Filip413 wrote: Horrible album? roots is nowhere close to being a horrible album, all Sepultura albums were fukn brutal. Skullshrinker is right, if you dont have this album, your a loser. I have this alnum. It's repetivive, muddy, and generally a pile of sh*t. Sorry for being aloser. nick_b wrote: if you dont like them, why are you here bashing it? Because this is a REVIEW section, where you're supposed to be impartial. It's made for expressing your opinion, be it positive or negative. Not for thousands of people to declare their love for the reviewed object.
    You're awesome, web
    XsickX
    Their pretty smart for putting music from tribes and shit in a cd..shows how people from places we dont even knew existed can make interesting music.
    Kornholic
    postmortem2006 wrote: Not their best album and it might've sounded nu-metally - but all the same, its the heaviest and angriest nu-metal record ever and ten thousand times better than anything the band has done with Derrick Green. A lot of people will disagree with me on this one but the tribal rhythms gave it a real kick up the ass and made the album sound much more significant and set it apart from the other nu-metal crap that was out there IMO.
    Max Cavalera got inlfuencese from Korn's self titled album. Thats why roots was so "nu metallish"
    webbtje
    nick_b wrote: if you dont like them, why are you here bashing it?
    MetalMovieNerd
    Its not the best album ever, however its far from being the big piece of shit everyone describes it. It is a diverse album and has some pretty memorable moments on it. However, the album needed more guitar solos and a little more resemblance of Arise or Chaos A.D. rather than being "one of those albums that jump started nu metal".
    Zecromancer