Elect the Dead review by Serj Tankian

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
Serj Tankian: Elect the Dead

Very distinct metal/rock sound. Basically System of a Down without Daron singing, which gives it a much more balanced feel. Composed very well, especially since Serj did most the recording/playing himself. Excellent use of many, many various instruments, including anything from a synthesizer, cello, and violin which are featured on several tracks throughout the album.

Unique and original singing/lyrics which we've come to expect of Serj. The lyrics are very insightful with a strong message tied into each song. The song titles and lyrics seem to suggest Serj's well-known and strong protest about the inhumanities and troubles surrounding his heritage which is tied back to Armenia. And again, Serj's singing is, well, Serj's specialty.

Seeing as this is his first solo album, he has done quite well for himself. He puts out the same energy and emotion as he did with SOAD. Some of the songs that stand out from the album are of course, "Empty Walls" which is available as a ring tone, "The Unthinking Majority", again also available as a ring tone, and "Feed Us" which offers a roller coaster of rising and falling intensity in both the lyrics and music. My personal favorite about the album is it's Serj Tankian, including bits from John and Shavo, it's nice to see them active again. Seeing as I have ripped this to my computer already, I probably wouldn't bother buying it again, but in the case of if I had no computer, I would definately buy it again. It's one of those albums you can just sit down and listen straight through, whether your driving somewhere or just wasting time on the internet. Excellent music to get you pumped, as all SOAD music is anyways!

Key Master
    HavokStrife wrote: I don't think I'll ever understand how probably millions of aspiring guitarists on this website are absolutely obsessed with this moron and SOAD. I hate his, and that emo guy in SOAD's vocals, and I don't think either of them have any value in their words, but that's just my opinion. I just can't understand how all of you can salivate over all three of this guy's chords. It's all musically garbage and I don't know how any of you can keep a straight face while disagreeing. Being on this site, and practicing and all, YOU, yes YOU could probably write better riffs.
    yeah, you cant understand
    Burn?
    guitarman341
    SOADFan88 wrote: Ok this is a great album. All you dumb shits who say that it isnt or that serj or soad sucks. You basically have no musical taste and you wouldn't know what music is if it hit you in the ****ing face. O and to the dumbass who said that "Bat For Lashes just decimates anything this guy will ever do" is dead ****ing wrong. Bat For Lashes is shit compared to everything. My shit can make better music than them. They suck almost as much balls as you do. This is one of the greatest albums in the world and of the year. All you dumb ****s who say anything bad about this album have no musical sense whatsoever. O ans to the people who said that Serj singing is crap. WTF!!! You dont know what singing is. He is one of the best vocalists in rock. EVER. All you dumbasses who think this is a bad album ARE NOT rock fans. You wouldnt know what rock was if it came and bit you in your scrawny, mother****ing ass. The bottom line is that this is one of the greatest albums of the year and of all time.
    Shut the **** up you dick. Just because someone thinks Serj or SOAD suck does no way mean they have no music sense, it actually means they have ****ing way more music sense than you. So get your ****ing head sorted you dumb piece or shit. Maybe System or Serj should put some edge and attitude into their music, instead of having each song being a whiney piece of crap with some drop d shitty chords thrown on top.
    TheNERD250
    I hate this album. Serj puts too much effort in the lyrics, and forgets about the music. It's a borefest. That's also why I think System of a Down sucks
    Mojo89
    People are stupid. "tired of political moaning" thats because most people are too stupid to care. Theres dirty stuff going on in the government that effects you and you just deal with it because its covered up and you dont care to investigate. You live for your tv and your bank account forget your pride.
    C&C Magik
    haha your taking that WAY too far. soad is alright at times, but you saying that i have no musical taste because i don't think SOAD are music gods is very wrong. and greatest rock vocalist of ALL TIME??? this is what i thought was insane. Robert Plant? Claudio Sanchez? Hell, I'll even give Axl Rose more credit then Serj. All in all, your statements are absurd. You are obviously just an over loyal fanboy. This album was OK. Can't listen to it very long without it losing my attention. My album of the year goes to No World For Tomorrow.
    Frusciante30
    Emo guy? Wtf?
    Frusciante30
    Lol. well said boss.
    guitarking10
    Well, my roommate is a big SoaD fan, but I'm not, I mean I like some of their stuff, but it gets annoying after about 15 minutes. That being said, the lyrics on this album are sung with a lot of emotion. Unfortunately, his voice gets annoying and I think that song about praising the lord and passing the ammunition is the worst piece of crap ever, there's about zero creativity in that song. The video for the other song is awesome though empty walls or whatever it's called. I'd give it a 6/10
    Shazazmic
    Everything is great on this album, but Serj's vocals. Also the reason I never got into System of a Down (besides the guitarist's extreme lameness...)
    mobious128
    these people posting about how much they dislike System are almost as bad as the bible thumping wasps who try to abolish violent video games. You don't want to see a man get his scrot ripped open with a rusty corn knife, don't play man hunt. And havokstrife, it's cute when animals act like people. When you do it, it's just sad and pitiful. I weep for you. Asstoad
    sickmike
    james1210 wrote: way better then the crap that system was putting out recently. Wouldnt mind system getting back together but somebody has to shut that whiney little guitar player up, he cant sing for crap!!! good for back up vocals but thats about it
    DUDE i completly agree with you im glad on hiatus the last system of a down albums sucked cause daron wouldnt shut the **** up he wanted to sing more then serj and it just got annoying. so this solo album is a good switch up cause i can finally listen to serj sing daron just needs to go make a album get the singing out of his ****ing system so soad can get back together
    Auals
    mosh_rocker2006 wrote: You know something....you suck. Yeah what, how about you make an album and we'll see where you're at. If you think the guy sucks then don't even bother being lame and posting anything...
    Ok, now I'm just sticking up for the principal here and not having a go so here goes... Serj only got such a rippr deal and release BECAUSE of SOAD, without he'd (most probably) be just another guy working with all these ideas in his head he couldn't put out, so maybe the guy you're ripping into can make music as good as or possibly better than him but just because he's not known yet he can't get it, ok? coolies just got that sorted, and now that you've read that I don't like SOAD or Serj, or most metal, but that's not the point, I just wanted to see how much people bashing went on, i find myselpased
    pyritmann
    im a huge SOAD fan, but i do agree with all the people saying the guitar isn't that talented. all it is, is the guitarist dragging his finger up and down the fretboard, but thats just their sound, they are not a guitar orientated band. get over it. besides, you know they are talented because they have been able to sell more albums then most of the bands that you are comparing them to even with the repetitive riffs. whether you like it or not, System of a Down is amazing.
    thycrusader
    i hate how alot of people on UG think they are qualified godly music critics. if you dont like it. fine. if you do. fine. thats all there is to it. on a brighter note. i do like serj's project. it is different from system, but thats whats good. if i were him i wouldnt want to make a side-project that would sound like system. cuz then it wouldn't be a side-project.
    Man-Made-God
    i think s.o.a.d be4 they split up will always be the greatest theyll be.i dont think theyll get there again if they reunite,still,id like 2 see how this works out.this is not metal,its more nu-metal.motorhead,nile,megadeth are metal.
    Man-Made-God
    no mercy wrote: this cd REALLY makes me wish SOAD was still around...in time, hopefully they will be.
    m8,in metalhammer they said theyed all go their seperate ways 4 10yrs then most probably return 2 the scene again as s.o.a.d
    whosamerica
    prety much the blink 182 of the metal/rock world... the band parted ways to make something pretty good but not quite as good as it was. and.... the whole "Metal" debate in general is bull.... different bands have different styles. personally when it comes to metal i have a very diverse taste. i like super deathy kights of the abyss and they are in fact better musicians than dreamtheater.... along with that i usually say i hate grindcore but i love the band "fish with guns"... but then i also like a little metallica here and there... and definately iron maiden.people are so (so so so so so so) limited when it comes to music tastes. with all the bands ive listed im also into a lot of country, pop punk, and feel good music.... the only thing im not into is hip hop/rap.... and even then i like the occasional party like a rockstar...
    TheMagicStump
    Dude, I bought this album the day it came out and I was astonished! It was almost as good as SOAD!
    slipknotfan24
    i've only heard empty walls but this seems like a good album. system of a down is an amazing band so hopefully this will be just as good
    cliffcronie
    [riffs.[/quote]
    Chaosinferno825 wrote: care to elaborate, noob? just because its not avenged ****ing sevenfold. this is one of the best albums i have bought in a while. imaginative, different and musically...genius. glad to part with my money. its a break from the mould. a great break. It sucks because it's the same old crap over and over again. The entire album is whining about political and societal problems. It's nothing more than an album written by the frontman of another nu-metal band. And on that note, Avenged Sevenfold is an abomination along with Dragonfarce and other overlyhyped bands with poor musicianship. I listen to bands such as Children of Bodom, Opeth, Dream Theater, etc. So don't be an ass fueled by assumptions.
    i dont know bout the cd but i know that the bands he talked about and SOAD are not that great but i do have to give em props for trying to change something in the music world.if you want to hear metal listen to metallica,slayer,testament,gwar,morbid angel,megadeth,and stuff like that some people wouldnt know metal if came up and gave em a mushroom stamp
    Kornjack
    MAX_POWER_002
    I thought the guitar was kind of simple it still sounded good though the lyrics were the best part.
    C&C Magik
    jahyarain wrote: Chaosinferno825 wrote: care to elaborate, noob? just because its not avenged ****ing sevenfold. this is one of the best albums i have bought in a while. imaginative, different and musically...genius. glad to part with my money. its a break from the mould. a great break. It sucks because it's the same old crap over and over again. The entire album is whining about political and societal problems. So don't be an ass fueled by assumptions. you would do well 2 heed your own last statement. we "whine" about political and societal problems because we care. because we want 2 change things. you're just a lazy apathetic idiot with horrible taste in music. dumbass.
    His taste in music is better than yours. But that's just my opinion.
    jahyarain
    rocktolive
    Wow. I'm a pretty big SOAD fan, and I think i actually might like Serj's solo stuff better than Systems =0! It still has SOAD elements of middle-eastern hard rock/political lyrics/occasional random nonsense, but it's pretty distinctly different than system
    ToxicGhost
    This is like if SOAD made an album in between Mesmerize and Hypnotize. I just like it so much. Lie lie lie is my favorite song.
    dark_falco3000
    System was a good band... before Mesmerize/Hypnotise when Daron started singing. He's barely even a good guitarist, and he has no place in trying to sing more than the band's actual vocalist, who actually has some vocal skills. I'm looking forward to getting this album, mainly because Daron won't be on it. I'm sure they're all good mates and all, but I think System should just get a new guitarist, one that isn't so egotistical and a bit of skill wouldn't hurt either. Of course, since they're probably all good mates as I said, they probably wouldn't do that. I just really dislike Daron.
    Chaosinferno825
    redwolf206
    Who gives a shit what you think? Ever think about that one?
    bnull24
    When did this guy ditch the Weird Al Yankovic look for the Borat look?
    Sos-viper
    I think SOAD where an amazing band pure talent and originality there, more than what you can say about the current bands of today i.e Fall Out Boy and Panic! all respect to them but they all sound the same. Apreciate real music, like SOAD. The question is will Serj Tankian be able to live up to the standards set by SOAD.
    -kiksu-
    serjYankovic wrote: adslam3 wrote: I heard the single. I was the opposite of impressed, it was bad. I'm not a fan of him or soad but i respect them/him and i know he is really talented but i expected a lot more than what i heard in that song. maybe it was just the song...? yeah, it was just the song... The Unthinking Majority is the only track that even resembles System. I really hate when people compare this to them actually.. They'll get back together when they feel like it, deal with it! Serj is amazing. After System dipped, I was really waiting for Daron's stuff to come out, UNTIL I saw the video of Serj on the Axis tour doing Charades. I mean seriously, a Lebanese voice backed by a VERY unique style of piano... It's incredible. So I waited for the album... Loving each single that was released. I preorederd it on iTunes. Then at 1:30 am on October 23rd, I checked to see if it was there yet. I DL'd it and listened to it straight through. AMAZING. The only real issue I have is a very specific one. And that is that parts of Beethoven's Cunt sound EXACTLY like Empty Walls... That's my ONLY issue. I guess this was all just my rant that people need to stop listening to Serj if all they want is System.. Because from this musicians point of view, Serj was hiding some REAL groundbreaking shit while with System. [now go Die]
    Are you armenian?
    -kiksu-
    Are you armenian?
    C&C Magik
    Second Rate wrote: Kornjack wrote: areese82: How much attention must you pay to a bunch of drop-d riffs chugged out the same way every time. Ever seen SOAD live? The guitar sounds like garbage because he can't layer eight tracks on top of eachother when he's on stage and not in a studio. they are actually Drop C for one, so you must really know much if u can even get that fact right Umm..... you do realize that Drop C is just drop D lowered by one step right? They utilize the same intervals. I would expect someone on a guitar site to know that. As for serjYankovic.... why are you getting angry at people expressing dislike for this album? I would think a System of a Down fan would like the idea of people expressing differing views and exercising free speech.
    QFMFT
    that_1_dude24
    that_1_dude24 wrote: Meh. It isn't the greatest album to ever hit the shelves, but it's okay. I'd buy it if you are a fan of SOAD.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, the lyrics are good, but might get a tad old after repeated listening.
    that_1_dude24