Elect The Dead Symphony [DVD] review by Serj Tankian

• Released: Mar 9, 2010
  • Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 10
Serj Tankian: Elect The Dead Symphony [DVD]

After two years and a half, Serj Tankian comes back with a CD-DVD named Elect The Dead Symphony. This CD-DVD includes a live prestation of Serj Tankian's songs of his previous album Elect The Dead but he makes orchestral arrangements and creates 14 masterpieces. First of all, since Toxicity, I'm a really big fan of System Of A Down and all members of the band. The Tankian's solo project is, according to me, awesome. With an orchestra playing his own songs and his opera-esque voice totally insane, the match-up is completely mad. The CD include the same prestation than the DVD but the DVD is better because we can see the emotion in his voice and in his mimics, the reactions of the crowd, etc.

Content — 7
The show is a 60-min-long show. The setlist include all the Elect The Dead songs but "The Unthinking Majority" and "Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunation" plus the two banus tracks "Falling Stars" and "Blue" and the two new songs "Charades" (song for Axis for Justice) and "Gate 21". I think the show is the only reason why you must buy the DVD because it countains a very little behind-the-scene. But the extra is 5-minute long. That's really short for an extra that can be very interesting during one hour. Serj describes how the APO ask him to collaborate, where they rehearse, his parents and that's all. Unfortunately, the extra is too short but the show is still amazing.

Production Quality — 10
The quality is very high-tech. The whole show is filmed with high-definition cameras and the acoustic is amazing too. We cannot have a best image and sound quality. The quality is near to the perfection. You must watch this on your 48-inches TV with your stereo at loud!

That's really not the same songs than Elect The Dead album. The lourd sound of the orchestra is absolutely insane. That's probably the most beautiful music that I've ever heard. Some songs are better than the original like "Honking Antelope", "Empty Walls" and "Feed Us". But I think the best songs is the new one "Gate 21". That's only Serj at the piano, four chords played differently but with his voice at his best, from low to high notes. A-MA-ZING! At the beginning, I didn't know how he arranged some songs with an orchestra like "Lie Lie Lie" or "Money" but the heavy guitar riffs and the humorous side of the first one is not an obstacle for Serj Tankian. If the CD-DVD cost 100$, buy it and you won