Imperfect Harmonies review by Serj Tankian

• Released: Sep 21, 2010
Serj Tankian: Imperfect Harmonies

The most important thing to tell anyone who is thinking of buying this CD is very simple: This does NOT sound like System Of A Down. That's good, however, as I believe the whole reason any musician ever started a solo project was because, they wanted to do something different and well, Serj has succeeded in that goal. If you can picture Serj Tankian singing, in his unique style of Bruce Dickinson meets Freddie Mercury epicness, then picture recordings of Baroque classical music and Joy Division being played over his voice, you can pretty much figure out what the general sound of this album is.

The lyrics are probably the only thing about the album that resembles SOAD, even in the slightest degree. I could see Serj performing some of these songs with his main project, for like an MTV Unplugged type of event. There's less swearing and drug reference than in most System Of A Down albums, by which I mean, I haven't found any yet. The lack of vulgarity may upset some longtime fans, but the lyrics that are on this album, fit well given the distinctly un-SOAD instrumentation. And, they're actually good.

In my opinion, as long as you absolutely don't try to think of this as a Serj Tankian of System Of A Down album and just think of as an odd, interesting... experiment, then that probably increases your chances of enjoying it to the highest degree possible, but even then, it's strange, for lack of a better word. The title really says it all: "Imperfect Harmonies." The one time I have ever seen an album title, that exactly told you what the album sounds like. I can find enough things here to annoy the average Metal fan, but that's why I said, whatever you do, don't think of this as System Of A Down-related and you won't be so upset. Who knows, you might even enjoy it a bit.