Mutiny review by Set Your Goals

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Set Your Goals: Mutiny

Set Your Goals is a pop-punk band with hardcore influences, hailing from California, and calling Eulogy Records home (at this moment in time). In 2004, they released the highly appreciated "Reset" EP in which they mixed hardcore and pop-punk to form a sound not heard at all in the scene right now. Many people may be ignorant and say that "Set Your Goals sounds like every band around right now", which is very untrue. Set Your Goals are doing something different, something that hasn't been heard in years, since the days of (old) Blink 182, New Found Glory, and Lifetime. With the release of this year's full length "Mutiny!" Set Your Goals stick to their guns and come out with one of, if not the best album of the year, in my humble opinion. The album starts of with the song "Work In Progress", which features an acoustic beginning, and then gradually rising in tempo and intensity and turns into a fast paced opener, with spoken vocals and moral like lyrics ("Because life is about doing the process and not the result"). One of my favorite components of this album is what I like to call "transition songs". The tracks "Dead Men Tell No Tales," "Don't Let This Win Over You" and even "Work In Progress" into "We Do It For The Money, Obviously!" All showcase this introduction of some sort, to the next full track, that get you all pumped up and excited for the following number, which I love. The middle tracks ("Mutiny," "This Song Is Definitely Not About A Girl," "An Old Book Misread," "This Very Moment") all contain lyrics aimed at big corporations, and major labels, giving a psuedo-speech to them, and how they will not "ruin" the band or make them "sell out". Now as these topics may seem childish and quite played out, Set Your Goals does it well, and wants you to have fun and focus not on the depth of the lyrics but the energy they give off. "This Very Moment", a track released earlier in the year as a demo, is one of the best songs on the album, and really shows what Set Your Goals is all about. Intensity, energy, gang vocals, and even a breakdown.

One thing that intrigues me about this album is that the ending to it is the best part. As I have seen throughout the year so far, many of the albums released have their best tracks at the beginning and then fade out towards the end, which really turns me off when listening to an album. "To Be Continued..." many listeners favorite song, has one of the best melodies of the year, and you can't help but sing-a-long to the song all day. The album ends with the track "Echoes" also one of the best songs on the album, and also released earlier in the year as a demo. The "da, da, da, da, da" ending to this track reminds me of classic Blink 182 and New Found Glory tracks which is a breath of fresh air. With the recent success of My Chemical Romance, The Used, Underoath, and other such bands, showcasing an image greatly accepted amongst today's youth, Set Your Goals provides us with something fun, new, catchy, fresh, energetic, and everything in between.

The production on the album is pretty good, and definitely adds to the quality of the album, although I would've liked to hear a bit rawer sound than what is given. The demos of the tracks on the album were better than the finished products in my opinion, which is the only complaint I really have about this album. One other thing is how short the album is, but this doesn't really get on my nerves too bad because that is the style of music that Set Your Goals plays, and this allows them to do that. If you have a passion for music, and want something fun for the summer, and quite good, then pick this album up. I understand that you might not like it as much as I do, and might not think it's the best album or one of the best album's of the year, but I'm almost positive you will like it. Just sit back, relax, grab a glass of lemonade, and listen to this album, and try not to dance, sing, or bob along to one song, and if you can't, well then you must be lying, or have some type of disease or something.

Nilcerise
    esswhyygee
    yee goonies never say die.. deff syg is one of the best bands around and no they arent emo and they are posi. they have catchy lyrics and are the best live band ive seen. the only problem with the review is if they have catchy lyrics... how do you not sing along with them.. fool.
    MurrayAberdeen
    how can anyone consider to call SYG emo? they are punk at its best and anyone who calls it emo needs to seriously get their facts right.
    boxcar_smasher
    i could really care less what this band is classified as in terms of genres. all i know is that they are awesome and really positive. "life is about doing the process and not the result" thats pry one of the coolest lyrics i've ever heard from a band like this
    speedmetal777
    and everyone who's arguing over whether they're emo or posi, please get real. they ARE posi, they ARE pop-punk with hardcore lyrics and musical influence, and THEY are a fun, positive and catchy band. Nilcerise, you're out-numbered kiddo. And you're wrong :o
    speedmetal777
    I love every song by these guys except for "an old book misread"... it's basically an insult to religion
    ehh, technically they're respectfully dismissing religion rather than insulting it, and singing about a bible that was misread. its a catchy song, make no mistake.
    PhobiXa
    I love every song on the album. I saw these guys a few nights ago and they so energetic and positive. like the whole section of the audience i was in was joining in all the gang vocals and shizz. Oh yeah "an old book misread" i used to think it was a insult to religion but i read the lyrics a few times and its like a shoutout to christian hardcore bands or something.
    qandme
    i think it's hilarious that everyone is fighting about liking or not liking Set your goals... here's the bottom line Set your Goals is awsome whether you like them or not!
    zombiexcore
    Mutiny! is the best album I have and probably will buy this year. They play strong from beggining to end, and it's almost like, when the last track is over, I'm still begging for more. I have no idea what POSI is, but all I know is that Set Your Goals is a fantastic blend of fast-paced punk, poppy melodies, and hardcore attitudes =D Plus, they're the nicest guys I've ever met.
    stradivari310
    punkrcksk8er182
    yeah syg is AMAZING....and theyre not emo so Nilcerise shut ur mouth cuz theyre posi...they have some of the best lyrics...and emos gay
    MANATEEN
    Jerm_cav
    Nilcerise, that was the most retarted thing i have ever heard in my life. Have you listened to this album? In my opinion it was the best album of the year, its something different, to get away from all the ****ing shitty music in the scene. They put the fun back in music. If you havent seen set your goals play a live show dont bad talk them, they will blow you away.
    travispunch
    p.s. Blink 182 use to be good pop punk and New Found Glory is pop punk with hardcore influence thats all
    travispunch
    As cool as NFG is they don't sound like them or Blink 182. I don't take hardcore seriously (no one should) but I hate it when I hear the comparisons to those bands. Posi isnt a genre, but hardcore has many styles, its not all tough guy shit (ex: Folsom, Too Pure To Die, Terror) Whether you like it or not hardcore will always be alive. STAY POSI GUYS!
    wrathofwuz
    MANATEEN wrote: set your goals is awsome, Nilcerise, learn how to type so people can understand what you saying, I'm not sure if you called Set Your Goals "gay emo" becasue if you did your way off. They are POSI, and just so you know, thats the opposite of emo.
    This band is awesome but honestly ,if you have NO idea what you are talking about please keep your mouth shut. Neither posi or emo are genres so you just sound like a 14 year old.
    MUTINY!
    i agree with the review, this is definetly one of the best albums of the year. their old stuff had more hardcore influences, but this still it, with so much more. this is an album that anyone who listens to hardcore, emo, alternative or even pop would love. its got it all, it stays heavy and energetic, but also interesting and catchy. if you ever meet a hardcore kid that does not like a new found glory they are lying, thus they will love this album. most importantly, this album is a just a great listen, its well written and the whole album flows well. oh and "Nilcerise", its quite impossible to make music without emoting, "emo" is a stupid, misused term. of course this band is putting emotion into the music, they have conviction for what they are doing, it is what makes music honest and meaningful. "tough" music still has emotion, if you cannot figure out that simple fact than you are lacking the capacity to enjoy music or even life. stick to your guns and your opinions, but think them through first so you dont risk looking like an idiot on a public forum. LISTEN TO WHAT YOU WANT!! BUY THIS ALBUM!!
    VeloriumCamper
    Nilcerise wrote: yea so they basically are every other band around today especially when you compared them to blink 182 and new found glory dumbass i can already hear the music now Tool which actually rocks/ gay emo wow cool mix huh?
    hahah, wow. Name one band that sounds like New Found Glory or Blink 182 today? Maybe a few. Now ask me how many bands sound like Hawthorne Heights, Aiden, My Chemical Romance, Atreyu today. Oh yeah! Only a few thousand. These guys aren't emo at all, they are the opposite. They play positive hardcore that is catchy, energetic and great. Why don't you ****ing listen before you run your mouth.
    becker009
    set your goals is def one of the best sounding hardcore bands out there. im gonna go ahead and even call them a little progressive, which is a good thing; who wants to listen to the same ol stuff anways? haha
    Cedence
    hahahaha. Nilcerise, have you ever heard this band? Set Your Goals is amazing, one of the best hardcore bands around today. They have a positive outlook, so they arent anywhere near emo. Can't wait to see them with Gorilla Biscuits, Comeback Kid, and Guns Up! in August.
    Gromlich
    Actually if you listen to the song its saying "I respect you turning that page in an old book misread" also he says that its just something i don't need, so its not like every other religion basher but its a respectful tone that I find conforting to know that respect is still a priority in hardcore music nowadays don't get me wrong i like songs about brutality as much as the next guy lol