Alpha review by Sevendust

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
Sevendust: Alpha

Alpha is Sevendust's 6th full length album and easily is one of their best. This album has all the elements of the Sevendust's back in the Home and Animosity days when they were on top form. As far as the bands sound goes, they can't get any better. Lajon still keeps singing his melodies and Morgan still is yelling and cursing throughout the entire album. Also, Sevendust's guitar playing stepped up since Sonny joined the band as the replacement of Clint. This is shown on songs like Deathstar and Feed where they added solos that last about a good 30 seconds on Feed. With this album, Sevendust has gotten heavier and more to their roots.

As far as lyrics are concerned, not much has changed. Still the angry lyrics from Morgan and melodies from Lajon. I was concerned when they were going to release this album that they would take a hit in the lyrics department since Clint is now gone and he did a lot of the lyric writing for Sevendust. But, it's not the case on Alpha. Lajon has great vocal range, he can go from singing melodically to singing like on Deathstar and Alpha. Great combination of Lajon and Morgan.

People say that this album is most compared to Animosity and Home and I can't agree with them more. It has the aggression of Home, but the melodies of Animosity and since those are my two favorite albums from Sevendust, the combination is lethal. The most impressive songs on the album are Deathstar, Driven, Aggression, and Burn. Aggression and Burn are very different from traditional Sevendust songs. Aggression begins with a piano, yes a piano, I believe that's the first appearance of a piano in a Sevendust song and Burn lasts over 9 minutes! People were calling it an epic. Burn is easily one of the best Sevendust songs to date. But, there are two songs on the album that I tend to skip and they are Beg To Differ and Confessions Of Hatred. I've never had to do this before on a Sevendust album, I consider these the first two filler tracks that Sevendust have ever released(except for Grasshopper on Home, but that doesn't really count since it's 12 seconds long). But, the rest of the songs on the album make up for it. If it were lost or stolen, I would 100% buy this album again, not just because I'm a Sevendust fan, but because it's a great album. To me this is their second best album, Animosity is still my favorite.

EET_FUK_BASS
    Although the review is pretty good, this part makes you sound like an idiot. This band has been through a lot in their personal lives in the past 2 years, especially drummer Morgan Rose, who was responsible for writing the majority of this album, and when i say a lot i mean A LOT.
    regardless of their personal lives (and yes, I've listened to Sevendust almost forever, although not really recently--Home was the first CD I ever bought) there needs to be an ability to branch out into lyrical areas that aren't about how angsty you can be...
    It isn't a bad album, but it's probably my least favorite as a sevendust fan from the start. The songs are somewhat more choppy with no real direction, like a train chugging off into nowhere. Aggression and Confessions of hatred are the only "sevendust" songs on the cd that I think are any good, really. The CD isn't horrible, though. I don't know if they'll ever live up to Animosity again, though.
    If animosity is "from the start" you're no original fan there...even Home got a couple singles with extensive radio play. I think it's refreshing to see most of the comments saying things like "aww this sucks, I mean what about great Sevendust like enemy, praise, etc." That actually sold me on this album, because the really good Sevendust is the stuff from the self-titled and (to a lesesr extent) Home. The rest is just extremely poppified Nu-Metal. Go listen to classics like Black and Bitch to get the real Sevendust. The Sevendust before their label pushed them kicking and screaming into the mainstream.
    I used to like SD but now it bores the shit out of me the singers good,but guitarist needs to play way better boring power chords over and over.Id say just stick with real metal classics like Maiden/Priest/Sabbath/Megadeth
    someone needs to learn how to appreciate music :p My favorite two genres are progressive and power metal (really skilled technical metal, listen to Dream Theater/Nevermore/Jag Panzer/Whatever if you're going to complain about power chords, not the 4 mainstream bands you listed), and to be honest I hate most nu metal. But Sevendust holds a special place in my heart, and I think their first two albums are all that nu metal aspires to be but never is. Hopefully this one is as well...
    tim71
    I would not compare Alpha to any other Sevendust albums. Alpha stands on it's own. Their second album was different from their first album. Their third album was different from the first two. Their fourth album Seasons was different than the previous three. Their fifth album Next was a return to the heavyness. With Alpha, their sixth album, they nailed it right on. Their seventh album kind of reminds me a bit of Animosity mixed with Alpha. Their eighth album I think has a mix of Animosity, maybe a tad of Alpha and a tad of Seasons but overall I think it stands out.
    donegan07
    I agree that Alpha didn't grab me at first like Seasons and Animosity. But I think it will take some time. I also agree that Sevendust was at their best when Clint was i the picture. I think that maybe they rushed the release of this album. Next came out about a year and a half ago, which seems like a long time, but Next wasn't even out that long and they were planning the release of Alpha. I love Sevendust either way.
    ohmerrymayhem
    cnc4c34
    Thanks for the review..I have "Home" and "Animosity" and like them both. I wasn't sure if Sevendust would continue making albums after I found out their greatest hits was out. I'll definately give this one a chance.
    nodice182
    I got really into Animosity a few years ago, but it feels like they've repeating themselves for a few years- which is a shame, because they have the potential to write great songs (Xmas Day, Praise, etc.) I tried listening to Next but I just got bored. No offence to any die hard fans here.
    calej1753
    This cd is amazing! One of the best albums ive ever had. if u like sevendust or nething heavy and inspirational. buy it.