Animosity review by Sevendust

• Released: Nov 13, 2001
Sevendust: Animosity

Ok, obviously Sevendust has an agressive sound. I like this album because of its depth and consistency. I like some songs more than others, but it's a CD that I can listen to straight through without skipping any songs. Morgan Rose is an incredible drummer, and contributes greatly to the sound by putting out interesting abstract beats instead of the normal 2 and 4 rock beats. That's another thing that I like about the sound of this CD, is that it goes outside of the box. Clint Lowery is the same way; very imaginitive, and impressive musicianship. Also, if you've never heard Sevendust before, Lajon Witherspoon's voice is the soul of the music. It has a lot of character, and is very emotional, yet agressive. He's a good screamer, but he can also tone it down and sing very well, like in Angel's Son.

Like the other guy said, a lot of swearing, but it seems to be isolated only in a few songs, like Crucified, and T.O.A.B. To be honest with you, I don't pay much attention to the lyrics except on the slow songs (X-mas Day, Angel's Son) which are very heartfelt songs with good lyrics. I mostly just pay attention to the music. Like I said before, Lajon has great versatility, and it goes well with the rest of the band.

Out of this one and Seasons, this one is by far my favorite. Much more consistency (Although Seasons is a good CD as well) It's going to be hard to pick the best songs, but I'll try. Angel's Son is obviously one of the best songs. Some other good ones that come to mind are Praise, Beautiful, Redefine, Trust, and Dead Set. So many good ones. I love pretty much everything about this album. The only drawback is the swearing, but that is a part of who Sevendust is apparently. At least it doesn't dominate the whole CD. I have the CD saved onto my computer, so if I lose it, I can just make another copy, but if I didn't have it on there, and it was lost or stolen, I would definately buy it again.