Chapter VII: Hope And Sorrow review by Sevendust

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
Sevendust: Chapter VII: Hope And Sorrow

On Sevendust's seventh studio album, Chapter VII: Hope and Sorrow, you will be happy to know that the Dust still have it going on. I was worried that with only a year after releasing Alpha, that this CD would be rushed. It's actually the opposite. This feels like one of the most completed Sevendust records to date. The music is strong and powerful, yet can be somber and mellow at the same time. One thing they have managed to do is to put a lot of emotion into it. There are points when the music is chugging along, yet it has an almost creepy vibe to it. I was really impressed. One odd thing is that nearly every song on the CD has a small instrumental intro to it. It almost sounds like something Nine Inch Nails or Tool would do. But it helps the songs flow into each other really nice and builds suspense.

Lyrically, most of the songs focus on two main topics, those being hope and sorrow. (big suprise I know). For the first time since Home, Sevendust's sophmore release, there were two guest vocalists, Chris Daughtry on the song "The Past" and Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge on the song "Sorrow". The songs are well written and you can tell that the songs come from the heart, which is seeming to become something rare now days.

I have to say, this is one of my favorite Sevendust albums and I have them all. I still have to rank Seasons as my favorite but this is probably #2. I definatly recomend it to all Sevendust fans and if you are not a Sevendust fan, you still owe it to yourself to give this a listen. Of all the songs, my personal favorite was "Contradiction". It is a hard pounding song and has one of the most unique breakdowns I've ever heard before. I'm usually not a big fan of slower ballad-like songs but "The Past" with Chris Daughtry won me over as well, I kind of had low expectations since I'm not a huge Daughtry fan. Anyways, I highly recomend this album to everyone. If your not a Sevendust, see if that changes after a listen.

jimmy d'soul
    i read somewhere that Snot might me playin together in the near future, that is why sonny left. even if he left on bad terms, he will still get royalties. hehe so good on him
    BurningTheLives
    say5ss2 wrote: Goes to show how lame the band is... no one posted anything
    Yeah because bands totally suck for trying something new in their career. *sarcasm*
    Ivan Drago
    I lost interest after Home. only heard the singles since then and they were shit.
    RageAgnstUrJaw
    I really, really enjoyed this CD...while it still doesn't top Animosity in my opinion, i think this is one of their most creative and complex albums yet. With Clint Lowery back now though, I'm sure he will bring back that signature sound that separated 7dust from so many other bands. 8.5/10 from me
    cerebrix
    in other news, sonny mayo is no longer in the band. he did write a lot of this album, as well as record it, but is now no longer with sevendust. it is still up in the air if this was voluntary or not. clint lowery has rejoined the band after 3 years away from the band playing with dark new day and korn.
    Chevelle454
    dude this new cd is absolutely sick. its so heavy, its got killer riffs, this is one of my favorite bands for sure
    acoginthesystem
    I like Sevendust. Well, I liked them. The problem I found is with each new cd they seem to get slightly heavier, usually more melodic, but the problem is even with some standout riffs and different sounding songs in the mix, the cd just mashes through itself. Every song just starts to sound the same and I could listen to drop b static with drum beats and feel like I listened to an instrumental Sevendust album. They just haven't impressed me at all with their last two cds. Same vocal mix with the great singing and then the slightly filtered lower in the mix vocals screaming in the background. Blah blah I want these guys to really go for a different angle for a change.
    acid55
    Anyone seen their live show? They will make your head explode with the energy they bring. First 3 albums were probably the best, then they faded away with albums that seemed to blend together IMO. Now they are trying to get back to where they used to be. Sevendust rocks but I can't listen to them all day, go to one of their shows and support them!
    Neverhead666
    Sevendust blows. They're radio rock who think they can play metal. While I admit they had one or 2 catchy songs on the first album, they have always been a below-average band. I don't see how they attracted so many fans, but then again, people listen to rap. So that might be the answer to my question
    Seidenschnur
    Yuck! Daughtry and some Alter Bridge guys? I seen Morgan's "Cribs" and he doesn't need the money.