Chapter VII: Hope And Sorrow review by Sevendust

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
Sevendust: Chapter VII: Hope And Sorrow

First thing I would like to say about the sound, thank God. This Album opens perfectly With "Inside" and finishes nicely with "Walk Away". the great thing about Sevendust in this album is that even though you know what to expect from them they hit you in the face with something new and even if they use somethings old they change it in away that will always be satisfying. The sound of Sonny Mayo and John Connolly's guitars mixed with Vinnie Hornsby bass make some of the tracks just mind blowing. my Favorites being "Inside", "Lifeless", "Contradiction" and "Prodigal Son". Me being a Drummer I love tracks with great drum beats and I had a lot of expectation for the new album. Morgan Rose fills this perfectly, in my opinion he is one of the best drummers on the scene at the moment he proves this in "Inside". Lajon Witherspoon voice just seals the deal for me. his melodic touch brings the songs together like glue and without them this would be a wasted album. One thing I love about the songs on this album is that their is a little buildup to every song which I think is a neat idea.

I like them that's all I can say I like them. the collaborations with Chris Daughrty and Myles Kennedy are a nice change from the normal throw of things, and I know people will mention Chino Moreno. All I'm saying is that Moreno is a big jump from Daughuty in a musical sense. Lajon's melodic voice accompanies the lyrics with great ease and Morgan Rose's backing screaming (Which I am a great fan of) adds the variety that the songs need. Now back to the lyrical side of the song. 7Dust throw in a good combination of uplifting and sad songs like that of "Inside" and "Hope". The lyrics work very well with the nature of the songs and in my opinion are good, and I think other 7Dust fans will think the same.

Sevendust's Chapter VII: Hope and Sorrow is. I have to say, the best album of 2008 so far. I've waited for this album since before "Alpha" because in my opinion Alpha sucked. "Hope" is my favorite song in this album. The song is so perfectly blended for the sevendust experience and I hope that other people who have listened to the album feel the same way. The only thing I hate about this album is the cover art. I'm sorry it's just ugly. I am a devote sevendust fan and I had a lot of expectation for the album I really didn't want another Alpha I needed something new and "Hope and Sorrow" fulfilled that. This album is the perfect blend of what a heavy alternative/metal (don't care about genre) band should be like. This album is right up there "Animosity", really close in fact I really enjoyed the album. Any Sevendust fans out there will be pleased and anyone who is out there reading this review and has not listened to 7Dust before, where have you been?

staind_dust87
    The new album really brings back that old school 7dust sound, it rocks. And to all you pussy's that say they are a radio band, did you hear there last album?! You don't know what the **** your talking about.
    1BADstrat
    I really like the song "Sorrow" feat. Myles Kennedy. I bought that song because I'm a big Alter Bridge fan. I can also comment that the "Hope" feat. Mark Tremonti was less than impressive. It just didn't sound like Mark and there was nothing in the song that really made it worth featuring another artist. One really short solo and none of Mark's signature nuances and tag riffs.
    cybermichaelusa
    i think they are in a sound that alot of bands TRY to pull off..dont hate them because they are successful either...so they have some radio hits, so ****ing what?..that means what?...isnt that what all bands want, to be successful to an extent?