Next review by Sevendust

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Sevendust: Next

Sevendust has always been a great band in my opinion. I love all of their albums, and each of them seem to be a separate stage in the bands development, and all with something unique to say. Sevendust's brand of melodic metal is hard to match, as I haven't found a band sounding like them yet. They're even a great live band. If you haven't seen them yet, go see them. Big or small venue, they're great. The new album is a lot like Seasons. Very melodic all the way through, but still maintains heaviness through some nice, fast-paced riffs. The album is also very well produced and it has TONS of effects added to both vocals and guitar. As most Sevendust fans may know, they lost a friend and a guitarist, Clint Lowery, to another band. They quickly picked up where they left off however, with a new guitarist named Sonny Mayo (formerly of Snot). A few people may argue with me here, but I don't believe that the removal of Clint and the addition of Sonny makes a noticeable change in sound. Many people agree. Just check out the Amazon.com reviews.

A lot of metal bands have lyrics that are consistent inspiration-wise, and some of my favorite metal groups even have boring or simple lyrics (DevilDriver, Black Label Society). Sevendust is one of those bands that still manages to have something to say after 4 or 5 albums. I like that alot. Fluid stuff, flows nice and evenly with the music. Varied subjects and good vocabulary usage throughout. Singer skills? Come on, it's Lajon Witherspoon. The guy's a vocal prodigy. Such a range.

As I said earlier, there isn't another band quite like Sevendust. Or at least, I can't think of one I can name without raising some arguments not only with the other members here, but friends and family who listen to this band. I just can't do it. Maybe someone else can. Ugly and Pieces, the two songs they released to the public for trial listening before the album was actually released. I think are actually the best tracks on the album. They seem to the most unique, and in a way, they kind of gave away their secret weapon by letting everyone in on it before they used it. The album overall is really good, but I wish the other tracks weren't so similar sounding. They're still good, but the album doesn't seem nearly as varied from track to track as Animosity (in my opinion their best work) or even their self titled release was. If it were stolen or lost, yeah I'd probably buy it again. Along with Animosity since the copy I bought shattered in my CD player, that was a bad day. Very good album, but for new listeners, I would recommend that they get Animosity first. That's the album I started with. It has all of their sounds rolled into one, and they just mix it up so well. Then I'd probably move onto their initial release, followed by Home, Seasons, then Next. And their acoustic album if you want to hear cool versions of all you're old Sevendust favorites done on a couple of Yamaha acoustics. But if you're a current fan, stop reading this and go get the album.