Next Review

Sevendust: Next
Release Date: Oct 11, 2005
Label: Winedark Records
Genres: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal
Sevendust play with feeling, and Witherspoon has more range than most of his loud rock contemporaries. But Next rarely progresses past simply capable.
 8.4
 8.9
 7.8
Next Reviewed by: Andrew Zara, on february 13, 2006

Sound: This was my first album that I bought from Sevendust and I could tell even though I haven't got the other albums that this album is much heavier. They still got the standard low tuning guitars that they always used, but they experimented with some heavy riffs. Songs like Hero, Pieces, and Failure show this. But, they also kept the softer songs in there too like Shadows In Red, The Last Song, and This Life. Overall great sound for this album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are much the same with angry and aggressive like most nu-metal stuff. They added a lot of more screaming in their songs from previous records, but that fits in with the song structure. // 8

Overall Impression: This album doesn't really compare with other albums. My favorite songs on the album are Ugly, Silence, Desertion, and Never. I don't really like Shadows In Red, I guess because it's different, but it ends the album good. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitly buy it again. Get this album! // 9

Next Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2005

Sound: Sevendust has always been a great band in my opinion. I love all of their albums, and each of them seem to be a separate stage in the bands development, and all with something unique to say. Sevendust's brand of melodic metal is hard to match, as I haven't found a band sounding like them yet. They're even a great live band. If you haven't seen them yet, go see them. Big or small venue, they're great. The new album is a lot like Seasons. Very melodic all the way through, but still maintains heaviness through some nice, fast-paced riffs. The album is also very well produced and it has TONS of effects added to both vocals and guitar. As most Sevendust fans may know, they lost a friend and a guitarist, Clint Lowery, to another band. They quickly picked up where they left off however, with a new guitarist named Sonny Mayo (formerly of Snot). A few people may argue with me here, but I don't believe that the removal of Clint and the addition of Sonny makes a noticeable change in sound. Many people agree. Just check out the Amazon.com reviews. // 9

Lyrics: A lot of metal bands have lyrics that are consistent inspiration-wise, and some of my favorite metal groups even have boring or simple lyrics (DevilDriver, Black Label Society). Sevendust is one of those bands that still manages to have something to say after 4 or 5 albums. I like that alot. Fluid stuff, flows nice and evenly with the music. Varied subjects and good vocabulary usage throughout. Singer skills? Come on, it's Lajon Witherspoon. The guy's a vocal prodigy. Such a range. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, there isn't another band quite like Sevendust. Or at least, I can't think of one I can name without raising some arguments not only with the other members here, but friends and family who listen to this band. I just can't do it. Maybe someone else can. Ugly and Pieces, the two songs they released to the public for trial listening before the album was actually released. I think are actually the best tracks on the album. They seem to the most unique, and in a way, they kind of gave away their secret weapon by letting everyone in on it before they used it. The album overall is really good, but I wish the other tracks weren't so similar sounding. They're still good, but the album doesn't seem nearly as varied from track to track as Animosity (in my opinion their best work) or even their self titled release was. If it were stolen or lost, yeah I'd probably buy it again. Along with Animosity since the copy I bought shattered in my CD player, that was a bad day. Very good album, but for new listeners, I would recommend that they get Animosity first. That's the album I started with. It has all of their sounds rolled into one, and they just mix it up so well. Then I'd probably move onto their initial release, followed by Home, Seasons, then Next. And their acoustic album if you want to hear cool versions of all you're old Sevendust favorites done on a couple of Yamaha acoustics. But if you're a current fan, stop reading this and go get the album. // 8

Next Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2005

Sound: This is the newest CD from one of the bands I think should get more play time. All in all, it's been worth the wait. They stay pretty much with their same ol' sound: HEAVY intros with lots of start stops or palm mutes going into toned down verses with usually some crunch in the background flowing into melodic choruses with a mix of the intro and verse playing. They got a new guitarist but they still sound pretty much the same. Very much one of the heaviest hitters in the alt-metal genre. A few minor solos a scattered here and there, but nothing like the new Disturbed CD in the style of or number of. The drumming has always been great and this is no exception. Double pedal accents can be found throughout the CD and at one point in pieces it's the vocals and the drummer flying off of the bass drum. Again nothing really new. But nothing bad either. // 9

Lyrics: Dual vocals, one more hard edged the other more melodic. Perfect. 'Nuff said there. The lyrics still feel like past 7D records save for one I thought was note-worthy. Number five "This Life" is a softer more balladic number about becoming/being a father. This shows a maturity and security that they can write and perform songs like this and not worry about people saying they're going soft and mushy. Just listen to the 4 songs before and 5 after to dispell any theories about that (last track is an acoustic song). The rest of the songs are pretty much normal 7D lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: You can recognize Sevendust playing from a car across a wal-mart parking lot. Nobody else has a sound like them. But trying to figure what song it is and what album it's from, well that's where the fun starts because they do have very similiar sounds. This album is no exception. Some would say that's bad that they're not experimenting. Some people would argue the other point of don't fix what ain't broken. Well, variety is the spice of life and I personally think 7D could use a lil pinch, but they've found their style and groove and it works. This is another great album and is worth picking up. 'Ugly' and 'Pieces' start off the record phenominally and 'this life' offers a nice change of pace. I'd buy it in a flash if it were gone because it is another good CD from them. // 9

Comments