Sevendust review by Sevendust

• Released: Apr 15, 1997
Sevendust: Sevendust

The first time I ever heard Sevendust was their 2nd album "Home". I was hooked and went and got their first one. It has some amazing music on it to say the least. The opening song "Black" is a perfect intro to this album. It's heavy and in your face, something Sevendust is now known for. Followed by the song "Bitch" which is an awesome song. All 11 tracks on this album showcase what Sevendust is all about. They're all heavy in their own right and there's a lot of melody. The guitars crush and the drum/bass section is tight as always. The sound isn't as fine tuned as what they have now but for a debut album, they definitely made a statement. They're probably the best at what they do and only got better with time. The album "Sevendust" is the first of many great ones and is definitely worth at least listening to, if not buying.

Lajon is an awesome lyricist. He got very personal on this CD, especially if you know the story behind the song "Prayer". He's got a lot of power and an amazing singing voice when it's called for. He has a unique way with words that you don't find too often in the metal community. Lyrically, much like the music, Lajon grew into what he is now and this is a great start and a great way to get into their sound.

To me, this album doesn't compare to some of their later material. However, this CD has some timeless classics that are far too good to not mention. "Terminator" is probably one of their most underrated songs. The drums and clean guitar on the intro lead into one of their heaviest and most groove based songs. "My Ruin" is also one of my favorite songs on this CD. It might start out slowly but it builds up into pure thunder. I love the versatility they showed on this CD. It's not the most consistent piece of work in the sense that they don't follow one formula for every song. That is also one of the things that I love about Sevendust. If it were stolen or lost, I'd run out and buy it as soon as I could. I may not listen to it on a daily basis but this is not an album I want to go without having.

Metal_Rich
    nboenzi wrote: Seven dust is pussy metal if you want to hear real metal listen to lamb of god. They make seven dust sound like a bunch of bed wetters.
    If you acted like your age (or at least what your profile says) then you would simply say "these guys are not what I would call metal, LoG is an example of metal to me." Never heard this album, but I have seasons.
    TheEndOfNothing
    Sevendust is one of the greatest and most under rated bands ever. They put on one of the most energetic live performances and their albums are consistently fantastic. Anyone that bad talks them doesn't even know what they are saying.