Mercy Falls Review

Seventh Wonder: Mercy Falls
Released: Sep 12, 2008
Genre: Progressive metal, Heavy metal
Label: Lion Music
Musically and structurally, you would compare it to Dream Theater or Symphony X but the execution and the delivery on this album is just outstanding.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Mercy Falls Reviewed by: Revenger#11, on october 18, 2010

Sound: Seventh Wonder are a progressive metal band from Sweden. This is their 3rd full length CD. Their sound is similar to Dream Theater, Symphony X, ECT. No screaming on this album folks, this is proper Progressive Metal. I have never found an album that captures my attention as much as Mercy Falls does. Through 74 mins, my mind never wandered once, as i was engrossed in the sound and the story of the album ( more on that later ). All the instruments on Mercy Falls are of the highest quality. The drums are probably the least impressive but there is still plenty of double kick and great fills throughout the album. The bass was very impressive, very skillfully played and audible throughout the album. A couple of great bass solo's on the album too. The guitars are the driving force behind the music. Both guitars are skillfully played, very catchy riffs and some fantastic melodies and guitar solos. The Keyboard/Piano work is also quite good, especially in the ambient sections. Overall, the sound was very good, technical, accessible and amazing. A few generic " prog " sections but other than that, the sound stellar. Oh, and the narrative dialogue throughout the album is quite poor, even laughable at times but it doesn't really detract from the music in any way. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics tell the story of a man whom has been in a car accident and as a result, is in a coma lying in a hospital bed. In his comatose state, he dreams he is transported to a town called Mercy Falls and believes that the town holds the key to him getting out of his coma and reunited with his loved ones. Meanwhile, in the normal world, the man's wife and family as well as the doctors, are also trying to bring him out of his coma. Don't want to spoil too much more but basically the two worlds intertwine together forming a very cohesive and engaging storyline. The vocals are probably the some of the best I have ever heard. Tommy has a VERY powerful voice and hits some beautiful high notes. I like his vocals a LOT more than Jamie Labrie from DT. Some of the vocal melodies on this CD made my jaw drop. Outstanding. // 10

Overall Impression: This is quite possibly the best progressive metal album I have ever heard. This is one of the best albums I have ever heard full stop. Musically and Structurally, you would compare it to Dream Theater or Symphony X but the execution and the delivery on this album is just outstanding. It's emotional, it's beautiful, it's fast and slow, it's technical, what else could i ask for? I couldn't pick a single song from the album because the album flows so well together as one. Treat it as a 74 minute song. I personally love this album to bits but that is only my opinion. If you are not a Prog fan, this will probably not covert you. If you don't like a bit of cheese in your music ( I.E Power Metal ) this might not be for you. I was totally immersed by this album and in my opinion it is a classic. Youtube it, download it, just make sure you hear it, and judge Mercy Falls for yourself. // 10

Comments