The Great Escape review by Seventh Wonder

• Released: Dec 3, 2010
Seventh Wonder: The Great Escape

"The Great Escape" is the 4th studio album from the Swedish progressive metal band Seventh Wonder. The album gets its title from the track with the same name, a 30-minute mini opera based on the poems "Aniara" by Swedish Nobel Price winner Harry Martinsson. This album is an excellent example of progressive metal. The guitar and bass work is both beautiful and complex though the shredding can feel unnecessary and boring at times. Especially on the single "Alley Cat". The music itself often wanders off into odd time signatures and there is a great variation in the music; heavy riffing, epic symphonies and powerful ballads. It also contains bits of Swedish folk music ("King Of Whitewater").

Tommy Karevik is definatly the star of this album. His vocals are very clean and powerful with lots of emotion, his high notes send shivers down my spine and so does the beautiful choirs. I read that mr Karevik had problems with his voice during the recording but that is not something that is noticeable.

The album is probably the best progressive metal album I've ever heard, and I've been a fan of progressive metal for over 15 years! It compares very well to (even surpases) contemporaries such as Dream Theater, Andromeda and Pagan's Mind. The most impressive song on this album is the 30 minute long title track "The Great Escape". I love the arrangements, the choirs and the lyrics. The only thing that disturbs me on this album is forced shredding.

maximumrocker
    Great band Great album Took me awhile to enjoy "The Great Escape", even though I enjoy really long progressive songs. Wish they put a little more instrumental in it. But it grew on me, and its amazing Everyone should pick this album out, as well as Mercy Falls
    Jon777
    A perfect album in many ways. Still haven't gotten around to picking up Mercy Falls, though.