Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols review by Sex Pistols

• Released: Jun 24, 1996
Sex Pistols: Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols

Out of all the punk bands, the Sex Pistols have one of the most original sounds. As opposed to cheap imitations of the Ramones that dominate the genre today, making it as processed as the music punk is supposed to be against. The Pistols' sound is characterized by Lydon's sarcastic if a bit whiny (better than modern punk, at least) singing, Jones's raw guitar power cords and addictive solos, Cook's underrated drumming, and well the bass could have been better (just quiet backup for the guitar). But it works. It fully captures the dissatisfaction with the music industry at the time (mid-late '70s).

This is what makes the Pistols better than much of punk. The lyrics reflect rebellion against the entire society at the time. Granted the rhyming isn't very well done very well in some cases ("Get It" and "Passerby"?) but it gets the point across and stresses dissonance from everything else. The finest is in God Save The Queen with it's excellent use of satire and honesty. Lydon's tone of voice fits every song. As I've said, he's whiny, but not to the point of current MTV pop bands singing about how miserable their life of fame is.

I can't compare it to other artists really. It sounds different than every band I have ever heard. Ever. Easily my favorite band. I love everything about it, except for the annoying outro on "Problems." Anyone with a broad familiarity with different rock genres would love this alblum. If you don't like this alblum, it's because you don't like the genre of the Pistols. And the genre of the Sex Pistols is the Sex Pistols.