Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols review by Sex Pistols

• Released: Jun 24, 1996
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Sex Pistols: Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols

What can I say about the Sex Pistols? They sound youthful, angry, angst-ridden, annoyed, fierce, sloppy, and fun. The guitar playing is messy, fast, and simple, as punk rock guitar should be. The bass is practically inaudible. The drums are like gunshots. John Lydon's vocals are snarling, sarcastic, angry, and nasally. They sound like a young punk rock band. What else is there to say about their sound? It is fun to listen to this album and just go wild. That's mostly how I describe this album: fun. It's by no means complex or intelligent music. The musicians lack much real talent and yet it's still worth listening to at least once. Listening it too much can be annoying, I must say. And I did grow tired of the band and this album after a point.

The lyrics are not very impressive. Not poetic or deep by any means. They sound the mad ramblings of a pissed off young person, i.e. punk. The vocals aren't necessarily impressive either, just a barrage of shouting. The Sex Pistols don't necessarily excel in vocals or lyrics on this album. At least the passion is there. That's all I can really say about it.

For some reason, this album stands out as famous and is considered a must listen for anyone who want to get into punk. I would be much more quick to recommend The Clash, The Ramones, The Stooges, and MC5 to anyone who wants to get into punk than I would be to recommend the Sex Pistols. The Sex Pistols are by no means a great band in my opinion. But there are some good tracks on this album. My favorite songs from the album are Holidays in the Sun, God Save the Queen, and the famous Anarchy in the U.K. My favorite aspect of the album is probably the whole attitude and feeling of going wild and being active. The songs are fun to listen to because of their energy. The guitar tracks are laced with phaser, and that adds a nice touch to the overall sound. What I don't like is that they just aren't what I would consider a talented and worth-listening-to band. Some people love punk. I like some punk bands quite a bit, but I think the Sex Pistols aren't really that good even in the aspect of comparing them to other punk bands. Even some punk bands are talented in their own way, but I don't see much talent in this band. All I see is the promotion of an image and attitude, while the music falls short and is pretty bad overall. Again, if you want good punk, my first recommendation is The Clash, an actually talented band in the punk genre. I think too many punk bands are more about the image and not the music, and that is why they may fall short here all too often.

swave75
    This album just blows me away. It is so aggressive. How could you not give it a 10 rating?