Carved In Stone review by Shadow Gallery

• Released: Jul 11, 1995
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Shadow Gallery: Carved In Stone

This album has a sound that is very different from their first album. Usually that is a bad thing, but in this case it is an awesome thing. After the recording of the self titled Shadow Gallery, the band felt they needed a change. So they fired their original guitarist. To replace him they found Gary Werhkamp. Gary then added much more than expected to their sound by adding amazing keyboard work. because of him, the band took on a more progressive rock sound rather than an '80s rock sound.

The lyric are all pretty good. They all fit in with the songs. The singer has very good harmony. The music and the lyrica are actually done quite well. I was quite surprised because I heard their new stuff before this CD. The lyrics on this CD are equally as good as all their other works!

While this album was much better than their first one, it doesn't even come close to their newer stuff. If you want to know what these guys are really about, then get Tyranny or Room V. But if you decide that you really like their sound, get this album. This CD is for true fans only as it is not the same as their new stuff. If this CD were lost or stolen I would replace it in a heartbeat!

RDSElite
    Carved is my favourite Shadow Gallery album. But it's hard to choose, as they are all equally amazing (apart from their self-titled one, which I didn't like). Too bad not many people know Shadow Galley. imo, they're definitely in the same league as the likes of Dream Theater etc. RIP Mike Baker.