Somber Eyes To The Sky review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Nov 30, 1997
Shadows Fall: Somber Eyes To The Sky

The style are used in many ways in this album. This album is a death metal album. Shadows Fall is a universal metal band that combines the style of american death metal and thrash metal, Gothenburg (swedish melodic death metal), and slight touch of grindcore. The guitar work is amazing, very complex, and creative. The riffs are very crunchy and intense which produces a lot of death metal to thrash metal sounding, sometimes it switch off to some fast Gothenburg riffing. Also the very powerful fast drumming and blast beats which fits into the song. Matt Bachand and Jon Donais are both very talented guitarist. I'm telling you guys the Instrumental works are amazing in this album.

The lyrics are well written, poetic, and creative and it flows with the songs. The vocals are very growly and harsh, Matt Bachand does really low death growls, Jon Donais does the Black/Death/Grindcore scream, and Phil Labonate uses harsh vocals with both growls and scream. The vocals sound very death metal.

This is like Shadows Fall best album, I liked it very much, it's a lot better than Of One Blood which was Shadows Fall least impressive album, I'm not Of One Blood is a bad album, I'm saying it's not as good and not as original, Of One Blood is a little too Gothenburgish in thrashy taste. But The Art Of Balance, The War Within, and Fall Out From War are really good. I can't wait until the new album Threads Of Life to come out in early 2007, I'm sure that will be a really good album. Shadows Fall remind me of a lot of bands like Suffocation, Perpetual Doom, Lamb Of God, Immolation, Hate Eternal, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Death, Slayer, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, At The Gates, In Flames, Soilwork, and a lot more bands. I would be wicked piss of any of my CDs are lost or stolen especially this one, I will spent another hour downloading all the songs that stolen or lost.