Somber Eyes To The Sky review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Nov 30, 1997
Shadows Fall: Somber Eyes To The Sky

Somber Eyes To The Sky is the only Shadows Fall album that incorporate actual death metal genre. This album attributes the style of American brutal death metal and European melodic death metal, which shows both brutality and melody in it. Apparently it leans way more on the American brutal death metal side, which make them sound like they're heavily influenced by American death metal acts such as Suffocation, Skinless, Cannibal Corpse, Immolation, Morbid Angel, Obituary, and also they followed Matt Bachand and Phil Labonte old brutal death metal band Exhumed (not the deathgrind) and Perpetual Doom. 7 songs in the album are death metal, and 3 of them non-death metal. Songs like "Somber Angel", "Suffer The Season", "Eternal", "Nurture", and "Lifeless" are New York style of brutal death metal based, songs like "Pure", and "Revel of My Loss" are a combination of old school Florida death metal with melodic death metal, and the 3 other songs in the album are different. "Lead Me Home" is an melodic soothing acoustic song, "To Ashes" is an melodic death metal song, and "Fleshold" is a combination of thrash metal and melodic death metal. The sound is primarily focused on brutality which conveys idea of speed and aggression. The guitar work by Matt Bachand and Jon Donais contains various "brutal" elements such as the usage of intense complex palm muting power chord patterns, an extremely fast tremolo picking, and some scale movements that is similar to the American Style of Brutal death metal bands. This is shown in songs such as Somber Angel, Suffer The Season, Nurture, and Eternal. There are also melodic element parts in some of parts of their songs. The drums are faster involving some blast beats and some complex drum patterns.

The lyrical themes of this album are death, life, society, suffering, struggles, pain, loss, depression, contradiction, and anger. The band tend to show their anger, aggression, strong emotions, and natural feelings to convey their lyrical themes. The vocals are death metal based, Matt Bachand and Phil Labonte uses a low guttural brutal Death growl, and Jon Donais uses Death shriek/scream, sometimes Phil tends have different kind of growling range, usually from mid-range to low. Matt tends Death growl really low and guttural.

No other Shadows Fall albums compare to this one. This album is absolutely the key of showing their actual true metal genre. They show that death metal was alive in brutality back in the '90s. I'm not going to lose this album ever, and I will spend another like 10 hours downloading it again.

Slayer127
    DeathThrash007 wrote: No this is not a Thrash Metal album, their newer stuff is but not this one. Somber Eyes to the Sky was released originally released in 1997, and this album is the only Death Metal album by Shadows Fall, this gave the impression of people at first that Shadows Fall was a Death Metal band due to the brutality of this album. Right now they're more of a Thrash Metal kinda Hard Rockish band, they're not really Metalcore, because alot of Metalcore bands sucks today, espcially newer generations, Deathcore OMFG they're now trying to steal Death Metal genre and mix it with Metalcore, GOD!!!.
    Yes, they arent metalcore because metalcore sucks. If metalcore was good then they would be metalcore... Lol.
    DeathThrash007 wrote: This album is awesome, Metalcore bands can suck my flying cock, I hate alot of Metalcore bands, but All That Remains is mediocre, get really boring, but they can still suck my flying cock. I'm into real Metal music like Death Metal and Thrash Metal music. All the newer bands disappoint me so much.
    Your cock grew wings? It can fly? Your such an idiot. I enjoy laughing at these comments. Please post more.
    vppark2
    clearly u can tell the guy likes to hate on the metalcore genre to the point of annoyance...
    DeathThrash007
    lilboisX3 wrote: Is this typical metalcore sounding with harsh verses and melodic chorus's? Then Breakdowns, or is it more of a thrash album?
    MetalcoreSucks
    ShadowsFall4All wrote: Neverhead666 wrote: if you ask me, this album is garbage compared to their later releases. I've seen this band live, and they put on a good live show, but i can honestly say that their only album that was enjoyable to listen to was War Within. Phil Labonte is horrible in this band, he's doing a much better job in All That Remains. And yea btw, Metalcore can suck it hard, cuz most Metalcore bands blow.
    Thanks you so much, I hate alot Metalcore bands, but this album is sick as hell.
    ShadowsFall4All
    DeathThrash007 wrote: maliceheart18 wrote: If this album was in the quality of Threads Of Life, it would be awesome. True, but this was released back in 1997, they used Matt Bachand's self produced label Lifeless Record, which was not a great production. But their new stuff used Century Media which is much better production, they remastered Of One Blood which was alot better than before. I hope at least in 2010 they could remastered Somber Eyes To The Sky, which would make the sound more brutal and awesome.
    Totally AGREED!!!
    ShadowsFall4All
    And yea btw, Metalcore can suck it hard, cuz most Metalcore bands blow.
    ShadowsFall4All
    Ok, in All That Remains, he's using shitty vocals, all he does he screaming like a ****ing mongoloid and his clean singing is conveying as typical Metalcore. But when he was in Shadows Fall, he death growl in different ways, from very low to mid-range. He and Matt Bachand were sick at death growling, it's ****ing brutal, especially Matt's extremely low guttural death growl. So there shut up about saying Phil is better in All That Remains, he's not. Fucking All That Remains is overrated, sometimes I can't ****ing stand them.
    DeathThrash007
    Somber Eyes To The Sky is an combination of both American Brutal Death Metal and European Melodic Death Metal. Unlike their newer stuff which is leaning alot more on Thrash Metal.
    SilverSpurs616
    Neverhead666 : if you ask me, this album is garbage compared to their later releases
    ^ This. I'm a huge SF fan and whereas I enjoy ALL other material they have released, this album is a dissapointment even as a debut. Not because the music itself is bad, but the sound quality and production of the album itself is just very dissapointing. That, and once again to quote Neverhead666,
    Phil Labonte is horrible in this band
    Neverhead666