The Art Of Balance review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Sep 17, 2002
Shadows Fall: The Art Of Balance

Wow, I really buy a lot of really good c.d.'s. Yet another one in my collection that is good enough that I actually take the time to review it. This is definitely a metal band, fusing death metal, thrash metal,yes, some nu-metal, but not rap and shitty guitar work associated with it, and just plain American heavy metal. This band is truly in a class of their own with this record.

Singer Brian Fair has an incredible power to his voice, as shown in many different ways, such as the well-sung Pink Floyd cover for "Welcome to the Machine" or the raw power of "Idle Hands". The songs are very well-written as well, take for example "The Mystery of One Spirit"- "Inspiration is the light of the mind- Revelation- the meaning behind". These lyrics seem to be written from the furthest depths of the mind; they entrap you and won't let you go. They just leave you thinking: How the hell did they write that?

This is my favorite c.d., and I've had it for a year now. That's making a statement. My favorite song on the album has to be the crash course in inspirational death metal "Mystery of One Spirit". Pink Floyd must feel proud to have had such an incredible cover of their song "Welcome to the Machine". "Destroyer of Senses" is proof that you don't need to play poorly to play a heavy guitar riff. "Idle Hands" is the greatest ending to a song, but don't get me wrong the whole song is great, I don't simply just wish for the end. When I listen to this c.d. and it ends, I simply press the "play" button again. It is truly an incredible c.d., and it takes that to beat "Master of Puppets" for the spot of my favorite c.d. Buy this, even if you don't like metal, you need to hear this no matter who you are.