The Art Of Balance review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Sep 17, 2002
Shadows Fall: The Art Of Balance

Shadows Fall is simply amazing. Jonathan Donais and Matthew Bachand are just amazing guitarists, with blazing riffs and smooth speeding solos. Their sound is heavy and fast in songs like 'Destroyer Of Senses' and just heavy in songs like 'The Idiot Box'. Every song is great, especially 'Thoughts Without Words' and the cover 'Welcome To The Machine'. Shadows Fall takes the normal metal expectations and blows them up into unbelievable songs. With double bass that last through almost full songs, minutes of amazing solos per song, and the metal singing/'screaming' produced by Brian Fair is amazing.

I don't think Brian tried as much in this album as in Of One Blood. Their still good lyrics, but not as great as the previous songs. Compared to most metal singers with lines like 'I'm going to kill my mom, then I'll kill tom' the lyrics are amazing. In some songs 'Stepping Outside The Circle'the lyrics and music aren't in the best compliance, but for the complexity of metal music, Brian does an amazing job. Brian's 'screaming' is great and is normal singing voice is very good also. On some of the tracks I think Matthew or Jonathan sings some, and if it is them, they sound pretty good too.

Some people may say that all metal sounds the same and the bands are all copies of eachother, but if you really take the time to listen to metal and some of the better bands, not the infamous ones, you understand the variation and complexity of the style. The songs that make this album are 'Thoughts Without Words', 'Welcome To The Machine', 'The Idiot Box' and 'The Art Of Balance'. The instrumentals are great songs as well. This album is one of my favorites, and if you're into metal, I recommend you buy this.