The War Within review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Shadows Fall: The War Within

Personally, I think Shadows Fall are pretty much losing their edge, and/or "Balls", needles to say this album is still pretty good, considering they are still bringing true metal back in one of its purest forms. The sound is alright, seems a little sketchy or maybe even too quiet, Personally I think the recording sucks. The guitar work is pretty insane, good riffs, keeps great tempo all the time. Bass and drums seem fairly simple such as the guitar, but mainly, not bad.

Lyrically speaking, it isnt very complex writing, mainly just the, "Metal In Your Face" kind of mindset for this album. They seem to like the traditional metal scream followed by Jon's softer talented voice.

From the other albums from "Shadows Fall", it pretty much adds up the same for each one, although this one doesn't have as much "edge" as the others may have. Mainly my most listened to songs on this album would probably be, "What Drives The Weak", "The Power Of I And I", and "Eternity Is Within". If this album was stolen, or if I had misplaced it, I probably would buy it again if I had the money, mainly because I bought it for the soul purpose of listening to it in the first place.