The War Within review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Shadows Fall: The War Within

Even Though I'm new to the world of Shadows Fall, I've got to say that, they're amazing! even though their isn't much of a variety of songs (10 to be exact), they use what they got to captivate you for a long time. Jason Bittner is an amazing drummer. I have never heard sweeter drums than on maybe Slipknot. There is no doubt in my mind that Matt and Jon are my favorite soloists. I was never much of a solo lover until I listened to this record. I guess I just needed a band good enough to blend nu-metal with classic metal. this album, although it sounds similar, also sounds like nothing you've expected but so much more. the coolest song is "Ghosts Of Past Failures" because it is lighter but still musically amazing.

Brian Fair's Lyrics are pretty good. He's a sweet metal singer since he just growls a lot. In only "Inspiration On Demand" does he sing. Matt and Jon are the singers in the band, although they do scream in the song "Those Who Cannot Speak." The lightest and best song on the album is "Ghosts Of Past Failures," although their is a lot of screaming in it the singing really shines through. A big message throughout the CD is power. The power to drive yourself, the power to control others, the power to learn, it's all there.

Shadows Fall is a band I believe will be around for a while and I know I will be looking out for them. I don't yet have any other albums but that will soon change. Honestly I love everything about this album, from the acoustic intro of "The Light That Blinds" to the face-melting solo of "Those Who Cannot Speak" I love it all. The most impressive songs I feel are: The Light That Blinds, Enlightened By The Cold, Act Of Contrition, What Drives The Weak, Inspiration On Demand, The Power Of I And I, and Ghosts Of Past Failures.