The War Within review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Shadows Fall: The War Within

Shadows Fall just keep getting better and better. With their third full-length studio album, they're bringing something new to the table. From the amazing introduction to it's closing, this album is one of the best works of music by not only a heavy metal band, but by an artist in general, no matter the genre. The opening track starts with a catchy acoustic rhythm with a great lead played over it. Then the band enters as Jonathan Donais plays an amazing sweep arpeggio riff. The songs on this album caught my attention from the very start, something that you don't have with many of today's artists, because when the intro riff doesn't grab your attention, no matter how great the song is overall, you just don't feel like it's worth listening to. Each song has an excellent intro to grab your attention, and great leads/solos. Track Listing: 01.The Light That Blinds 02.Enlightened By The Cold 03.Act Of Contrition 04.What Drives The Weak 05.Stillness 06.Inspiration On Demand 07.The Power Of I And I 08.Ghosts Of Past Failures 09.Eternity Is Within 10.Those Who Cannot Speak

The lyrics of each song is like really great poetry from the mind of Brian Fair. And he does a great job of delivering the lyrics, too. Unlike many singers of today's metal, he is not in any way monotone. His voice changes throughout every song on this album, as do the backing vocals from guitarists Matt Bachand and Jon Donais. An example of what I'm saying would be the band Arch Enemy. Of the songs by them I've heard, they're singer sounds exactly the same throughtout each song. With Fair, he uses much more emotion and can change his voice as needed during songs, which is something you don't have with much metal anymore.

This album is a great follow-up to Of One Blood and The Art Of Balance. They do a lot of new things on this record. Each song is different, from the acoustic lines in "The Light That Blinds" and "Those Who Cannot Speak" to the power-chord heavy riffs and clean arpeggiated chords in "Inspiration On Demand" and the insane solos in songs such as "Eternity Is Within" and my personal favorite, "Ghosts Of Past Failures". This record is very impressive spawning the hit singles "The Power Of I And I", "What Drives The Weak", "Inspiration On Demand", and "Enlightened By The Cold" along with landing a spot on the game Guitar Hero 2 with the song "The Light That Blinds". This album is definately worth the buy. It is amazing and should be listened to by any fan of metal. I highly advise it.

dfinch10
    The great thing about this album is that none of the songs are filler tracks. Every song has something to add to the overall effect of the album. This is truely one of the greatest metal albums of the 21st century and in my opinion one of the best ever.
    relicmusic1990
    The Entire CD is awesome, I can't pick a favorite, Jason bittner is so ****ing good, the only drummers that are better are chris adler and danny carey, and Jon and matt are so ****ing good, they fit perfectly, this album is the most brutal and the best Shadows fall Album even better than threads of Life