The War Within review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Sep 21, 2004
Shadows Fall: The War Within

This CD blew my mind away from the moment I heard the opening riff to the first song, Redemption. I had been expecting a great CD after such masterpieces as The Art Of Balance and The War Within. When I listened to this CD, my standards were blown away. I consider this album better Than Metallica's Master Of Puppets. Anyway, the guitar is usually very heavy with good distortion, but also gives way to amazing melodic and slower songs and parts that simply show great musical strength and diversity among the musicians. Top 3 songs: 01.Final Call: a headbanger for sure, great song, great drums, vocals, guitar, bass, lyrics. This has it all. 02.Venomous: heaviest song on here. Just amazing in every way. 03.Storm Winds: there were many contenders for this spot, but Storm Winds just completely blew me away. It's a very different song in a great way.

Brian Fair has been, in the past, a mediocre lyricist, instead relying on his incredible vocal talents. That is not the case on this record, where his lyrics have just turned around to become some of the best I have ever seen or heard. 'Suddenly it seems to me, that I am my own worst enemy, We can never hope to breathe, Strangled in this misery'

I think this is the landmark album for a new generation of musicians. In the past Master Of Puppets has been known as the standard greatest metal album, but I think once this album reaches its full potential it will be regarded in the same way. There is nothing wrong with the CD except that it ends. I can not wait any longer for a new Shadows Fall CD. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't worry, because I own 2 copies already. Thats how good it is.