The War Within Review

Shadows Fall: The War Within
Released: Sep 21, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal, Thrash
With the War Within, Shadows Fall make their first bid at creating a great metal record and come close to the mark too, even if their effort to meet expectations is ultimately over reaching.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.6
 9.5
 9.7
The War Within Reviewed by: ShadowsFall4All, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Shadows Fall guitarist are awesome, their shredding solos are sick and very fast, some of the regular guitar solo sounds really emotional and relaxing, they also play good fast melodic and heavy riffs. Jonathan Donais and Matthew Bachand are very talented metal guitarist. Shadows Fall sounds are death metal to melodic death and some thrash influences. True they are actually metal. Brian Fair death growling or grunt and thrash singing and a slight touch of metalcore/hardcore is very good, and the guitarist do a really awesome growl sounds like a real death metal growl. Jason a very good drummer with double bass kick on his drums and Paul is very good bassist too. Shadows Fall musician makes the best sound and their singing growl as well. This album is probaly the best album they made so far and they improved alot now. // 10

Lyrics: The lyric is very good and discriptive and it's like a well written poetry. The singer Brian Fair does death growling or grunt and thrash singing and a little bit of metalcore/hardcore singing, the two guitarist death growls or grunt as well in some parts of the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Shadows Fall are my favorite band in the whole world and the guitarists have the most talent and it compares to alot great metal bands out there. I like everything about Shadows Fall they are totally awesome. I would not let anyone steal this album or lose it cause I keep everything safe and I have all the Shadows Fall albums. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: soundesign, on august 14, 2006

Sound: The CD was put together pretty nice but in a few of the songs the drummer sort of had a differant idea in mind that he worked into the song, making it to complex in some parts and really easy in others. I noticed that three or four songs the timing was differant between all of the players but it still sounded all right. There guitarist really opened up this CD very nicely though. With a nice slow acoustic intro for like a half a minute than just letting loose. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on "The War Within" tended to waver on a few of the songs, but was backed by an amazing amount of talent out of the guitar. When I first heard the singer sing it sorta of surprised me, there was so much talent coming from the other musicians of the band. That I believed that there singer could have put a little bit mor effort into the CD So it all sort of evened out in the end. // 7

Overall Impression: This CD is one of the six in my CD player right now. But I can't listen to the CD completely through, no matter how hard I try. The songs don't quite flow together as I hoped they would. The CD I have now is a gift because the last one owned was stolen from me. And I didn't really think is was worth going out and buying a new one. // 8

The War Within Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2004

Sound: This album is so sick it blew me away. I was never really a into this kinda music mainly casue the singing but I have come to like this music a lot. The guitar is really thick and deep. It's really a new age heavy metal band. Shadows Fall is the best new band out and I hope they keep putting out good albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are kinda Weird and don't really make sense, but then again, after listening to Ozzy when he was twacked out on drugs in Balck Sabbath, it really doesn't bother, but I really don't listen to the singer or the lyrics. The singer is a good singer tho and I have no bad things against him or his lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favorite cds, along with Iron Maiden cds and Judas Priest cds. It really brought back the sick guitar solos and the awesome harmony they have. It reminds me alot of Iron Maiden harmony alot. The best songs on this album are "The Light That Blinds", "Enlightened By The Cold" and "The Power Of I And I". I love the harmonies and the solos of jon donais and matt bachand. I really dont hate anything about it. This albums is definetly worth buying again if it were stolen. It has opened up my mind to other genres of heavy metal. Thanx Shadows Fall for the sick album. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2004

Sound: Now this is one hell of a band. I am not usually into the new wave of american heavy metal bands such as Killswitch and others but these guys really made me change my mind. I am really really impressed with their guitar playing. The harmanies that they use and how they are able to construct such amazing solos. You can definately tell there is an influnce from Iron Maiden. I give a lot of credit to Jon and Matt for being able to construct these things into heavy metal. They also seem to be working of off the same mind much like Adrian Smith and Dave Murray from Iron Maiden did. After I first heard this album I have not been able to turn it off. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good in this album. I am not really into screaming singers but I like how they mix it up from like screamming to a more of a mellow yelling, its pretty awesome. As far as the album goes the singer works with the guitar and just makes it sound really good. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is again one of the new metal albums I have heard. Some of the most impressive songs include The Light That Blinds (intro), Enlightened By The Cold (solo and bridge), and Power Of I And I (stomp intro riff). I think that if it were to be stolen or lost I would definately buy it again. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 07, 2004

Sound: Shadows Fall's sound is very reminicent of old school thrash like early Metallica and Megadeth except they combine influences ranging from extreme death metal to classic rock. The guitar riffs are absolutely brilliant and are perfectly executed by guitarists Donais and Bachand. Theyre twin guitar attack is the best I've heard in years. Bass and drums are equally awsome proving this to be very pleasant to listen to. They create some great melodies with a lot of Zakk Wylde style harmonic squeals and in songs like "The Light That Blinds" they even use acoustic guitars. Being a guitarist myself I love guitar solos and there is one in every song and they are quite impressive. // 10

Lyrics: Personally, I hate bands with singers that just scream, but the way Brian Fair does it it just fits the music incredibly well. Most of the time you cant understand what hes saying but there are surprisingly a lot of moments of "normal" singing, such as in "Stillness". I pay a lot more attention to the guitar, but the lyrics/singing fit very well. // 8

Overall Impression: Simply put, Shadows Fall is the best metal band in years and this is the best metal album of the year. The most impressive song I'd have to say is "The Light That Blinds", but seriously every single song is absolutely awsome. If I had to be critical though I would say that I wish there were more moments of "normal" singing where I could understand what he was saying and although all of the solos are quite memorable, a few of the solos feel a bit underwhelming, like the potential is there but it could be better. If it was lost or stolen I would definately go buy it again and I would recommend you go buy it too. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2004

Sound: The sound is brilliant! I have known SF since Of One Blood came out. This has got to be their best album and this album definitely should be called metal album of the year. Shadows Fall have always defied being called metalcore or nu-metal. They have had their kickass sound dominating metal today. Every single person in the band is extremly talented and Shadows Fall is worth all the hype. This albums is has plenty of fast headbanging moments and the kickass solo and melodic parts you just can't help but call them fukin crazy brilliant. // 10

Lyrics: Brian can really sing! His screams and growls may get annoying but he slows down and his melodic voice just matches witht he music. The lyrics are really good. A big influence to me. // 10

Overall Impression: Shadows Fall is the s--t of today. They don't even compare to All That Remains. ATR is a good band but if your one that gets annoyed by the screaming and growling then SF is the one. Listen to the light that blinds and those who cannot speak. They start off with Metallica type acoustic ballads then lead to incredible intros. Especially on those woh cannot speak. I hate nothing about this album. I love the solos, lyrics, bridges, verses, intro. That pretty much everything now isn't it! This album fu--n kicksmetalass! If this album was stolen I would hunt the bastard down. If it were lost I'd definitely buy it again. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: AcillateM666, on december 20, 2004

Sound: Personally, I think Shadows Fall are pretty much losing their edge, and/or "Balls", needles to say this album is still pretty good, considering they are still bringing true metal back in one of its purest forms. The sound is alright, seems a little sketchy or maybe even too quiet, Personally I think the recording sucks. The guitar work is pretty insane, good riffs, keeps great tempo all the time. Bass and drums seem fairly simple such as the guitar, but mainly, not bad. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically speaking, it isnt very complex writing, mainly just the, "Metal In Your Face" kind of mindset for this album. They seem to like the traditional metal scream followed by Jon's softer talented voice. // 6

Overall Impression: From the other albums from "Shadows Fall", it pretty much adds up the same for each one, although this one doesn't have as much "edge" as the others may have. Mainly my most listened to songs on this album would probably be, "What Drives The Weak", "The Power Of I And I", and "Eternity Is Within". If this album was stolen, or if I had misplaced it, I probably would buy it again if I had the money, mainly because I bought it for the soul purpose of listening to it in the first place. // 8

The War Within Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: Extremely heavy music, alot like Slipknot, but way more complex. Album just came out in 2004, it's pretty new. These guys kind of stick to the roots of classis metal while still keeping it heavy. Plenty of solos, damn good ones too, accoustic guitar now and then. The singer isn't the best, but the sound is still addicting. Good group, check them out if you haven't. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are once again alot like Slipknot. Pretty deep, and at times hard to understand. But I find that a lot better than today's usual rock album theme: "my girlfriend broke up with me so now I'm going to pick up an accoustic guitar and cry into a microphone." They also aren't a band that talks about how great they are. That stuff gets boring. These guys are serious about their music, and it shows. // 8

Overall Impression: They kick a lot of metal bands asses, without a doubt. My favorite songs are 'The Light That Blinds', 'What Drives The Weak', and 'Inspiration On Demand'. Great suff there. There's nothing a really hate, it's kind of old school because of their influences (Judas Preist, Metallica style solos) but it's great music. Solid stuff without a doubt. I got it for less than $10 about 2 days ago, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat should the occasion arise. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 30, 2005

Sound: I just got this album and after listening 1 time through I am just completely blown away. The guitar work is insanely good. Everything is strong on this album. All the chemicals and ingredients that make up a good metal album are on here. Heavy riffs, shredding solos, pounding drums, strong bass lines, and plenty of throaty screams and growls. This album in one day changed the way that I personally look at metal. I knew this record had potential to be great and I was right. I love it and it will be in my stereo/CD player for monthes to come. // 10

Lyrics: I liked the lyrics. They are just metal lyrics without the "I hate God" stuff. If you get the album read the lyrics. I think that you will like them. Its really a breath of fresh air from all the other lyrics out there today that complain about everything and hate themselves. And I also hate bands when they sing about politics (System Of A Down, Anti-Flag, etc). It's just gay who wants to hear it? Bands like Shadows fall and Killswitch Engage are like get off your fat ass and do something about it, make a change and stop complaining. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best metal record I own. Please buy it and support this band. Some people complain about the singer but hes good I think. He goes along with the band and it works so how is it bad. I don't think he gets annoying. Hes also sings melodic too. Best songs so far are The Light That Blinds, Enlightened By The Cold, Act Of Contrition, Inspiration On Demand, and Those Who Cannot Speak. Buy it now. If I lost it or it was stolen I would buy it again no question. My favorite solo is either - What Drives The Weak, or Stillness. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: JetHeavyMetal, on july 18, 2005

Sound: Shadows Fall are an awesome band, the 2 guitarist Jon Donais and Matt Bachand are an awsome guitarist more talented than other metal bands I heard. They combined sound of death metal and thrash metal which makes the music sound great and the guitar solo in all their songs are awesome, it's just like The Art Of Balance and Of One Blood album except they are getting alot better at it because the guitar soloing is better than a lot of metal bands solo becuase it's longer and sound more like the '80s. I think Shadows Fall are the most talented musician. // 10

Lyrics: The lyric is very descriptive and clean words and very good language in their lyrics. Brian Fair uses alot of death growls but he doesn't always growl he sometimes sing as the guitar player sings. His death growls are normal metal band act not like European metal using low extreme evil sounds and explicit word like nu metal band. Shadows Fall stay clean in their lyrics like traditional metal singing. // 10

Overall Impression: Shadows Fall is my most favorite heavy metal band ever and it's better than metal band album I heard. I have 2 favorite song on their new albums and they are "The Power Of I And I" and "Act Of Contrition." I like everything about, but the best thing I like about them is the guitar playing of Shadows Fall. And I will not try to lose this album or people from stealing this album I will try protect it. But if it was lost I would download it on limewire. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: BlindingStrings, on july 18, 2005

Sound: I always liked mateal, but most American heavy metal doesn't compare with some of the Norwegian and British metal bands. After listening to the crunchy, technical, and dark layered guitars of Shadow's Fall, I've changed my mind. America does produce good metal bands! There are exceptions like Slayer, but you have to hear this band. The drums are great, and this band is just mind blowing. Bass lines fit very well and give atmoshpere to the music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, they are fresh and aren't complaining about the goverment or their girlfriends. Deep lyrics, and they are sang in context with the music, but I'd really like to have some more singing, not screaming. // 8

Overall Impression: Great album and it has a very classic rock/metal feel and that's what makes it a good album. You can't talk bad about the musical ability, and the singing, is still pretty good even though they scream so much. Great CD, if it was stolen or lost, id by it. It was very cheap to buy, and I'm proud they are not rock sell outs in it for the money! // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: FacEraser117, on october 05, 2005

Sound: This is Shadows Falls follow-up to th Art Of Balance and it kicks ass. The guitar riffs and solos are just unbilievable. Jason Bitter's drum work is also amazing. He is fast as hell. Of course to keep up with Jon and Matt's guitar work he has to be. Unfourtunatly their wasnt and acoustic songs like on the Art Of Balance. This is definatly their Master Of Puppets. // 10

Lyrics: As usual Brian Fair's vocals are excelent. His vocals are very vuage and hard to understand, but they go great with the music. Normally I couldn't listen to vocalists that scream all day long, but his stuff is hard not to like. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all I believe this is one of the best metal cds in existence. Every song you can tell time was put into. There are no songs made just to fill up the CD. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: supreemo, on february 24, 2006

Sound: Even Though I'm new to the world of Shadows Fall, I've got to say that, they're amazing! even though their isn't much of a variety of songs (10 to be exact), they use what they got to captivate you for a long time. Jason Bittner is an amazing drummer. I have never heard sweeter drums than on maybe Slipknot. There is no doubt in my mind that Matt and Jon are my favorite soloists. I was never much of a solo lover until I listened to this record. I guess I just needed a band good enough to blend nu-metal with classic metal. this album, although it sounds similar, also sounds like nothing you've expected but so much more. the coolest song is "Ghosts Of Past Failures" because it is lighter but still musically amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Brian Fair's Lyrics are pretty good. He's a sweet metal singer since he just growls a lot. In only "Inspiration On Demand" does he sing. Matt and Jon are the singers in the band, although they do scream in the song "Those Who Cannot Speak." The lightest and best song on the album is "Ghosts Of Past Failures," although their is a lot of screaming in it the singing really shines through. A big message throughout the CD is power. The power to drive yourself, the power to control others, the power to learn, it's all there. // 9

Overall Impression: Shadows Fall is a band I believe will be around for a while and I know I will be looking out for them. I don't yet have any other albums but that will soon change. Honestly I love everything about this album, from the acoustic intro of "The Light That Blinds" to the face-melting solo of "Those Who Cannot Speak" I love it all. The most impressive songs I feel are: The Light That Blinds, Enlightened By The Cold, Act Of Contrition, What Drives The Weak, Inspiration On Demand, The Power Of I And I, and Ghosts Of Past Failures. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: Ich_Bin_Ibanez, on august 23, 2006

Sound: The impression that I first recieved was what on god's green earth is this. I was listening to "The Light That Blinds" and the acoustic intro sort of put me away from them. But once it switched to the electric guitars I just didn't know what to say. The CD just grabbed me by the balls and took me for a ride I will never forget. The amazing intros mixed with the world-class shredding solos with amazing outros made this CD amazing. And not to mention the fact that all of the songs went from one to the other seamlessly. // 9

Lyrics: I was impressed by all means when I first put this CD in. It really made my love for music even stronger. The way the singer would really work with the guitar players to make the song perfect. I couldn't find one flaw with this singer (even though I can't sing at all). But it was slack at some points and then it would slowly build up and he would just throw everything he had at you at one time. // 9

Overall Impression: This CD is one that is almost in my CD player at all times. I think that "The Light That Blinds" acoustic to electric intro was the most impressive on this album. And I would most definately go out and by this CD if it were stolen after running over the person that stole it. // 8

The War Within Reviewed by: ctdguyiam, on december 05, 2008

Sound: Shadows Fall just keep getting better and better. With their third full-length studio album, they're bringing something new to the table. From the amazing introduction to it's closing, this album is one of the best works of music by not only a heavy metal band, but by an artist in general, no matter the genre. The opening track starts with a catchy acoustic rhythm with a great lead played over it. Then the band enters as Jonathan Donais plays an amazing sweep arpeggio riff. The songs on this album caught my attention from the very start, something that you don't have with many of today's artists, because when the intro riff doesn't grab your attention, no matter how great the song is overall, you just don't feel like it's worth listening to. Each song has an excellent intro to grab your attention, and great leads/solos. Track Listing: 01.The Light That Blinds 02.Enlightened By The Cold 03.Act Of Contrition 04.What Drives The Weak 05.Stillness 06.Inspiration On Demand 07.The Power Of I And I 08.Ghosts Of Past Failures 09.Eternity Is Within 10.Those Who Cannot Speak // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of each song is like really great poetry from the mind of Brian Fair. And he does a great job of delivering the lyrics, too. Unlike many singers of today's metal, he is not in any way monotone. His voice changes throughout every song on this album, as do the backing vocals from guitarists Matt Bachand and Jon Donais. An example of what I'm saying would be the band Arch Enemy. Of the songs by them I've heard, they're singer sounds exactly the same throughtout each song. With Fair, he uses much more emotion and can change his voice as needed during songs, which is something you don't have with much metal anymore. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a great follow-up to Of One Blood and The Art Of Balance. They do a lot of new things on this record. Each song is different, from the acoustic lines in "The Light That Blinds" and "Those Who Cannot Speak" to the power-chord heavy riffs and clean arpeggiated chords in "Inspiration On Demand" and the insane solos in songs such as "Eternity Is Within" and my personal favorite, "Ghosts Of Past Failures". This record is very impressive spawning the hit singles "The Power Of I And I", "What Drives The Weak", "Inspiration On Demand", and "Enlightened By The Cold" along with landing a spot on the game Guitar Hero 2 with the song "The Light That Blinds". This album is definately worth the buy. It is amazing and should be listened to by any fan of metal. I highly advise it. // 10

The War Within Reviewed by: Puremetal666, on may 04, 2009

Sound: This CD blew my mind away from the moment I heard the opening riff to the first song, Redemption. I had been expecting a great CD after such masterpieces as The Art Of Balance and The War Within. When I listened to this CD, my standards were blown away. I consider this album better Than Metallica's Master Of Puppets. Anyway, the guitar is usually very heavy with good distortion, but also gives way to amazing melodic and slower songs and parts that simply show great musical strength and diversity among the musicians. Top 3 songs: 01.Final Call: a headbanger for sure, great song, great drums, vocals, guitar, bass, lyrics. This has it all. 02.Venomous: heaviest song on here. Just amazing in every way. 03.Storm Winds: there were many contenders for this spot, but Storm Winds just completely blew me away. It's a very different song in a great way. // 10

Lyrics: Brian Fair has been, in the past, a mediocre lyricist, instead relying on his incredible vocal talents. That is not the case on this record, where his lyrics have just turned around to become some of the best I have ever seen or heard. 'Suddenly it seems to me, that I am my own worst enemy, We can never hope to breathe, Strangled in this misery' // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is the landmark album for a new generation of musicians. In the past Master Of Puppets has been known as the standard greatest metal album, but I think once this album reaches its full potential it will be regarded in the same way. There is nothing wrong with the CD except that it ends. I can not wait any longer for a new Shadows Fall CD. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't worry, because I own 2 copies already. Thats how good it is. // 10

Comments