Threads Of Life review by Shadows Fall

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Shadows Fall: Threads Of Life

I was first introduced to this album by one of my friends who said "This album could possibly be as good as Master of Puppets." I did not believe him for a second until I listened to it myself. I admit it is nothing compared to MoP, but it is pretty damn good. The solos and main opening riffs on every song just make my jaw drop. The tapping in Redemption for the solo was right on and it was awesome with the duel guitar playing as well through out the whole album. It was also cool to hear Shadows Fall produce a calm song, being Another Hero Lost. Great heavy sound for almost every song in the album. Every riff could easily be a fight riff because of how fast and powerful they are. Redemption - Best opening riff of the whole album. Jonathan Donais and Matt Bachand (guitarists) must have had a blast playing this song because it is absolutely genius. Burning The Lives - The druming from Jason Bittner on this song is wicked fast and it gives this song a killer beat. Storm Winds - The opening riff in this song is extremly fast, but it is too quiet... they should have amped that riff up because it is so complex that the drums and back up guitar cover it up. Failure Of The Devout - The chorus of this song is so powerful and fast that it is probably one of the fastest chorus' in the album. Great singing by Fair, his yelling/screaming makes this song awesomely strong and makes me want to headbang everytime I hear it. Venomous - The verses in this song were very well put together. Between the drumming and guitars, they really evened it out well. The chorus' lyrics are great. "Suddenly it seems to me, that I am my own worst enemy." Another Hero Lost - The first time I heard this song, I thought that it was not Shadows Fall. It had such a different sound to what I previously listened to from these guys, but I was impressed. The lyrics in this song stand out to me the most because of how well they flow with the instrumentals in the background. Brain Fair showed everyone that he is not just a screamer with this album and this song is one of the main reasons for it. Final Call - Great transition between this song and Another Hero Lost. The semi soft lyrics at the beginning then changing right when the chorus hit was very interesting. This is the one song that I am able to recognize and hear the bass during the chorus and Paul Romanko is just going at it. I am not quite sure if he is using a pick or not but it sounds heavy and perfect for the song. The interlude in this song was also very interesting to hear because it brought me back to the song The Light That Blinds with it's slow start. It works really well for these guys to have one or two songs in their albums to have a slow transition. Dread Uprising - Automatically one of the heaviest songs on the album. Makes me want to headbang throughout the whole song. The Great Collapse - Very strange having an interlude with only two songs left... but whatever works for them. Just Another Nightmare - Very powerful intro and this power continues throughout the whole song. With the backup vocals yelling "THIS... CAN... NOT BE", it adds more power to this song and Fair does yet another superub job at singing his throat out along with his heart. Forevermore - Awesome ending for a great album. The opening riff is jawdropping and with the mini solo going with it, this song should easily be their next single. The open notes going with Brian's vocals also set up a huge ending to this album. The ending transitions from slow acoustics to their usuall heavyness.

From past Shadows Fall ablums, this one has taken a much more meaningful course. The lyrics actually have a story behind every song in this album. Brian Fair's vocals fit perfectly into all of the songs. He can scream one minute and sing normally in a the next and that is pretty awesome. I was suprised when I heard the Another Hero Lost track when it was calm and moody. It showed me that Fair can sing calm for an entire track also. Overall, a much needed improvement on the lyrics in this album then previous ones in my mind.

It seems like Shadows Fall has finally found their step again. This album could top The War Within, but if it does not, it is definetly a high quality album from these guys. Redemption, Forevermore and Final Call are songs that stand out to me the most because of just how insanely crazy and difficult the riffs sound. There is absoultely nothing that I hate about this album. I could listen to every song for hours on end and would never be bored. If it were stolen... God forbid... I would automatically go back and buy it. If you have been a fan of Shadows Fall or just heard of these guys from reading this review... you should love this album.

Krisp
    I think this is the worst album they ever made. They became so soft, it doesn't even sound like Shadows Fall anymore. Their last album was so much better, and heavier.
    primitive
    a great album! metal but melodic beacuse of the lyrics it does't mean that metal cannot be melodic because of shadows fall..
    zquizo4life
    Want to hear this and other albums before buying? Go to www.allofmp3.com. Create an account and you can hear it. Don't faint when yoy see the downloading prices. Fuck ITUNES!
    thanx_bonham
    after falling in love with of one blood & art of balance, and enjoying the "war" albums, i couldn't be more disappointed with threads. the lack of variety and energy is shocking. thankfully they've been playing older tunes live. one of the most un-enthusiastic records i've ever heard. 2007 metal album belongs to the blackening right now in my opinion. return to greatness soon, shads!
    guitarfreak222
    darkfire_storm wrote: jonnyharris1 wrote: Their DEFINITELY NOT on Roadrunner. They're on Atlantic Records No they are on roadrunner actually no, they arent. i just visited roadrunner records' website, and they are not listed. pretty sure the label knows what bands theyve signed. atlantic records has them listed on their site, so im gonna go ahead and say theyre on atlantic. just so you know, not every heavy band is on roadrunner.
    Well, this album was half atlantic and half roadrunner. I dunno, i just looked it up on wikipedia ha.
    Perpetual Burn
    TC1223 wrote: archangel1024 wrote: It sucks. It sounds like old Metallica, and nothing like Shadows Fall. Overall, it's one of the BIGGEST dissapointments of the year. I didn't know old Metallica was bad. Gimme a break man.
    Ha, the sarcasm.
    MetalMorphine
    Brilliant album, a best buy. The killer riffs and solos kept me moshing throughout the day and night and excellent cd and one that you must have . 10+ : m:
    JRB Dog!!
    actually no, they arent. i just visited roadrunner records' website, and they are not listed. pretty sure the label knows what bands theyve signed. atlantic records has them listed on their site, so im gonna go ahead and say theyre on atlantic. just so you know, not every heavy band is on roadrunner. POSTED: 06/18/2007 - 01:27 am / quote | oh so thats why on the cd it actually says roadrunner
    strata666
    This album's "sound" felt a bit generic after listening to the songs after a couple of times, I still like the album though. (REDEMPTION!!!!!) The lyrics were a bit weird... I still reccomend it to any S.F. fan...
    123-Trav
    powerage225 wrote: i dont know if anyone else feels the same, but i've listened to shadows fall before, seen them in concert, and listened to this new album, and even though jonathan and matt are pretty good guitar players, i dont really like their music
    Yeah, i LOVE this kind of music but shadows fall.... there's just something missing.
    ibanezonfire16
    TooFast wrote: I quite like this album. It is somewhat reptetive, but not so much where you're like "this song just played" Great album. Get it!
    Couldn't agree more. Great album, just a little repetative.
    TooFast
    fade2dust
    they are on roadrunner for their international releases and atlantic for their US work. For further proof they helped accept the award for best record label at this years metal hammer golden god awards when Roadrunner won best label.
    darkfire_storm
    TC1223
    I didn't know old Metallica was bad. Gimme a break man.
    archangel1024
    TC1223
    this album was no suprise to me and not even Shadows Fall at their best. They are an awesome band and they rip on this album as usual. If anyone wants to learn of this band pick up "The War Within" first. But you should know their stuff already.
    SvnStringMaster
    is this as good as their previous ones? i heard some bad remarks about it: repetitive, slowed stuff.... so i dont know
    Kirenjob
    ready2breakdown wrote: Their DEFINITELY NOT on Roadrunner. They're on Atlantic Records.
    They are with Roadrunner, I got a promo cd with a cd i bought, Roadrunner bands only and Redemtion was on it.. BUYING THIS ALBUM TOMORROW WOOO!!!