Classics review by She & Him

• Released: Dec 1, 2014
She & Him: Classics

Contrary to what some people might assume based on the title, "Classics" is not a greatest hits album by the indie duo, She & Him. What it is, is their take on a set of standards, those great vocal-centered pre-rock 'n' roll songs you heard on your grandfather's record player. That is the entirety of the material on the album and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the songs retain that great vintage feel, even when performed by two people who haven't been working together more than about a decade. The instrumentation, the vocal melodies, sound like they were lost in time. It's quite amazing in a way.

Being that this is, as I have already stated, an album of standards, I will simply say that the lyrics are great and they have stood the test of so much time, very well. The instrumentation though at certain points almost unnoticeable, is really powerful when you do notice it and is a fitting compliment to Zooey Deschanel's oddly old-fashioned and sultry singing voice. The only problem is that on the songs where M. Ward takes the main vocal duties, he just doesn't sound as appropriate for the type of songs featured here, despite doing a good job as a backup singer.

Well, I really like this album. There's a certain charm to be found in a modern take on timeless classic songs that still manages to sound as if it were an antique. I'm guessing the modern vintage feel was intentional, as I don't see much of a way the album would have ended up sounding like it does otherwise. The only real problem I find after repeated listens is the M. Ward lead vocal songs. I mentioned earlier, they just don't work as well as Zooey Deschanel's for some unknown reason. Other than that, I would say this album hits the mark, though not all the songs are better than any previous versions. It's a great homage to a great era of music.