Leave A Whisper review by Shinedown

• Released: May 27, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Shinedown: Leave A Whisper

The sound, an amalgamation of every other "modern rock" and "nu-metal" generic band to gain recognition in the past 4 years or so. Riffs? I'm pretty sure this band doesn't know what one is. Let's just bash out some one-finger down-tuned powerchords, make scary faces, and call it an album! This is the stuff that record companies see as marketable though. So, whatever. My kudos to the producer for their college try, because it's real hard to make a turd shine.

The lyrics are self-deprecating, self-pitying, pretty mopey you know like, "an amalgamation of every other "modern rock" and "nu-metal" generic band to gain recognition in the past 4 years or so!" (if you don't mind me quoting myself). So yeah, the lyrics go very well with the music, as both are the same sorta thing, very generic. Brent Smith is one powerhouse of a singer though, but he gets quite annoying after listening to half the album and not realizing he's started singing a different song. I've always appreciated singers with some vocal malleability, such as Scott Weiland (who has tons!) But Mr. Smith here makes absolutely no vocal changes in any part of this album, making for a boring vocal and lyrical journey, despite the vocal power.

This CD compares to a lot of other generic sounding modern rock bands, reminding me very much of Nickelback and another real gem, Three Days Grace (but perhaps not quite as horrible as the latter). I'm not too impressed by anything on the album, but I guess if I have to pick a few OK ones, I'll go with "Fly From The Inside" and "In Memory." This CD bores me just about to death, but at the same time saddens me, seeing that this is the crap we now call "rock." If it were lost, I probably wouldn't notice. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't notice that either, but I'd pity the poor soul who went through any trouble to steal this from me.