Leave A Whisper review by Shinedown

• Released: May 27, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Shinedown: Leave A Whisper

Boring, bland, tedious, formulaic. Oh, sorry. I know only idiots that like Shinedown are reading this. I didn't mean to confuse you guys with the big words. I'll try to dumb it down even more than I already have. I'll stop insulting you guys now and get to the point. The sound is like anything else you'll find in today's music. Music today, with only a few exceptions, is, don't let me lose you here, "boring, bland, tedious, and formulaic" (if you don't mind me quoting myself). Well, I guess my work is done here. I've described the whole record. Damn, I still have to explain the lyrics and give my overall impression.

The lyrics are near to horrible. Although I do like the lyrics on "Simple Man." Oh, wait, that was a cover song. I guess I hate all of the lyrics. If I was someone who liked mainstream stuff a lot, I would be pretty impressed with the lyrics. Or maybe if this came before the "I hate myself and I want to die" era (no disrespect to Nirvana), it would be outstanding, what am I saying? They're awful!

So I don't completely waste your time, I'll tell you some albums that are worth buying. The exceptions I mentioned are The Mars Volta "Frances The Mute," Alter Bridge "One Day Remains," Green Day "American Idiot," Breaking Benjamin "We Are Not Alone" (I'm surprised myslef at this one). These artists may save rock, but they are up against a lot of crap. Help save music by going out and buying some of these). When I was listening to the WRIF (which is now avalanched with, dare I say, "artists" like Linkin Park and Three Days Grace) I came across a man's voice that sounded so powerful to me that I listened to the rest of the song. The song is called ".45." The simple guitar and bass parts didn't really bother me. I loved that song so much I went out and bought "Leave A Whisper." When I listened to the album, I realized that ".45" was the only real impressing song on the record. And to this day, I feel the same. If I had to pick songs that I liked, I'd pick ".45," "Burning Bright," and "Simple Man." But I think that those are the only ones that I like.

Dewey1040
    You clearly dont understand the lyrics giveitaname87. they are not generic at all, take 45 for instance; "staring down the barrel of a 45" does not mean im going to shoot myself between the eyes. If you want to just read the lyrics and take them for what they say then sure it does mean that. But if you think about it brent means that you're staring at the world (45 is a metaphor for the entire world) and that you have to make a decision on how to face the world and solve your problems, the band is all about taking things that are bad in your life and turning it around "shinedown" think about it and maybe just maybe you will learn that the band is more then what you think they are