Leave A Whisper Review

artist: Shinedown date: 07/27/2011 category: compact discs
Shinedown: Leave A Whisper
Released: May 27, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Volatile, Brooding, Cathartic, Manic, Brash, Gloomy, Fiery, Confrontational, Intense, Harsh
Styles: Post-Grunge, Hard Rock
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.4
 9.5
 1,080
Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 11, 2004

Sound: For all you people who havent heard of Shinedown just let me tall you, they kick some major a-s. Alot of good hard rock on this album, packed with alot of energy. Good mixture of clean guitar and distorted guitar, lots of great intros, heavy bridges, great bass(especially in the verse.) This is my new favorite band, if you get a chance to watch them live I suggest you go, I saw them with Tantric and 3 Doors Down recently and they were all great, but Shinedown was my personal fav. // 10

Lyrics: Man can Brent Smith sing. This guy has a killer voice that can hit every note you throw at him, and it really shows on this album. Listen to the diversity on the final track ".45" and it will blow you away. The lyrics cover alot of deep personal issues and talk about the struggles these guys and other people put up with in their every day lives. As the back cover of the cd case insert reads "This record is for the dreamers, for the people that have, in one way or another,been cut down or cast out of society for being different or having an opinion, it is an expression of insecurity and frustration, and yet, the will to overcome. There's no turning back now that you've opened up to you mind" Simply put the best way to explain what the lyrics on this album are about. // 10

Overall Impression: Man this album is great, these guys really know how to make a cd. It is by far the best cd I have in my collection, followed closely by lostprophets' "Start Something" and Tantric's "After We Go" Shinedown has a similar sound to 3 Days Grace, another great new band. If Shinedown puts out another album im gonna buy it first day, these guys are goin places. Some of the best songs on the album are "Fly From the Inside" "Crying Out" ".45" "Burning Bright" "In Memory" and "Stranger inside" If this album was lost or stollen I would go out and buy a new one in a heart beat, but that is never going to happen because I won't loose it or have it stolen because it is such a great CD. // 10

Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2004

Sound: Wow! is all I have to say. Seriously. These guys just kick a-s. The Vocals, the instruments, the production, everything about this record is just incredible. It is definitely an outstanding debut CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really thought provoking. I like on the inside cover because there is a summary of what the record is all about. Just read it if you buy it. I really can't think of any other way to describe the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best CD's I have boughten in a long time. It is just incredible. The lyrics are mindblowing, the sound is fully formed. Other than the two singles "Fly From the Inside", and "45" (worthy of the radio time it's getting), the remainder of the album is just so incredible and consistentthat it has the sound of a seasoned band and it's unbelieveable that this is their first cd. Get it. Right now! Support them. // 10

Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2004

Sound: The band Shinedown is a band that takes thier music as no less than a priority. I've noticed there are not alot of tabs for the 15 songs on the album, probably because it is very difficult to discover. It's nearly impossible, I've tried! The musical talent is really fascinating. There is alot of single string picking instead of chord changes which gives this band a complex sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics practicly speak to me. There is nothing better than liking a song you can relate to. The lyrics mix with the music pieces perfectly. These songs by shinedown are put together beautifully. The lead singer has an incredible voice, but theres no need for me to state the obvious. // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison to other albums, this one wins the gold. I can think of a lot of albums with good music pieces, I could find a lot of songs with good lyrics. But if you can find an album that can combine both, then you have found a truely talnted band. Now you dont have to search far, just buy the album from Shinedown, "Leave a whisper", and there will be beautiful music right before your ears. // 10

Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2004

Sound: In a word: great. Shinedowns original EP was a little sketchy, so I was doubful, but after bying the cd and listening to it for close to a year straight, I love this band. Good guitar, great singer, good drummer, good bassist what else can you ask for? // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics. The lyrics mostly sound like songs I write, only better. They speak to me. The music and lyrics go awsome together. Wich is more I can say for alot of "alternative" bands. Brent Smith is one of my favorite singers. Hes great. Maynard James Keenan, Erik Rodgers, Nick Coyle and ever since I bought this album Brent Smith are (in my opinion) the best singers right now. // 10

Overall Impression: I dont regret buying this CD (wich is more than I can say for the 3rd Strike album). My favorite songs, are all of them, Fly From The Inside, Crying Out, Burning Bright, 45, Stranger Inside, Lacerated - they all kick ass. If I could, id give this album a 6/5, it's my favorite album in my collection. Brent Smith has a gift of creativity and the gift of song. I swear to God if anyone stole this. I'd tear out thier throat, and beat them into nothing with thier eyes got a little carried away. // 10

Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: giveitaname87, on november 22, 2004

Sound: The sound, an amalgamation of every other "modern rock" and "nu-metal" generic band to gain recognition in the past 4 years or so. Riffs? I'm pretty sure this band doesn't know what one is. Let's just bash out some one-finger down-tuned powerchords, make scary faces, and call it an album! This is the stuff that record companies see as marketable though. So, whatever. My kudos to the producer for their college try, because it's real hard to make a turd shine. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are self-deprecating, self-pitying, pretty mopey you know like, "an amalgamation of every other "modern rock" and "nu-metal" generic band to gain recognition in the past 4 years or so!" (if you don't mind me quoting myself). So yeah, the lyrics go very well with the music, as both are the same sorta thing, very generic. Brent Smith is one powerhouse of a singer though, but he gets quite annoying after listening to half the album and not realizing he's started singing a different song. I've always appreciated singers with some vocal malleability, such as Scott Weiland (who has tons!) But Mr. Smith here makes absolutely no vocal changes in any part of this album, making for a boring vocal and lyrical journey, despite the vocal power. // 6

Overall Impression: This CD compares to a lot of other generic sounding modern rock bands, reminding me very much of Nickelback and another real gem, Three Days Grace (but perhaps not quite as horrible as the latter). I'm not too impressed by anything on the album, but I guess if I have to pick a few OK ones, I'll go with "Fly From The Inside" and "In Memory." This CD bores me just about to death, but at the same time saddens me, seeing that this is the crap we now call "rock." If it were lost, I probably wouldn't notice. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't notice that either, but I'd pity the poor soul who went through any trouble to steal this from me. // 4

Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: g 4 11, on december 18, 2006

Sound: The sound was great. I loved it because it have slow, soft rock and also fast, hard rock at the same time. It had a car in the front of the CD so I thought it would be good. I just figured out that they used to be a christian rock band. I thought that was cool. If You are really reading this or just shiming throught, you need to listen to or get Shinedown for CD. It is worth it. I love it and never get tired of the Sounds and the guitar solos are awesome. They are great. My mom even loves them. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. They mean something and they are not borning songs. I think the Lyrics are good for two reasons. Reason number one because they are good and the singer is great. The other reason is because the song spent alotof money and they worked a long time. The singer sounds country and rock at the same time. The singer can sing with his eyes close. It remined me of Matalica and AC/DC and Ozzy all at the same time. I love the lyrics of this CD. Please listen to the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: They are great and awesome. The most coolest song in the CD is "Rockstar" and some more are still good. I would get that CD for anything like 3 time more the price if it were stolen or lost. I have 4 CD. One for my white car, one for my hunting truck, one for my bedroom, and one for my beach house. I love that it has great songs, sound, and the lyrics. I don't hate anything much about this CD or any other CD buy them. I tkink it does not compare with any other CDs. I think this one is better. // 9

Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: dominicmorlan, on july 27, 2011

Sound: I feel like Shinedown had the blessing of finding a really great sound on their debut album. They are a great Alternative/Hard Rock band, but they also prove that they are versitile enough to pull off some very soulful music (i.e. cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man"). // 8

Lyrics: The main thing that captivates so many people about Shinedown is found in the vocal intensity and beauty of lead singer Brent Smith. He does on this album, what you see on most bands later albums: give everything you've got. On this album, with songs like "45" and "Simple Man" he proves that he can be noticed like that, while at the same time shows that he can play with the whole band in songs such as "Fly From The Inside". I feel that the lyrics in the songs match the quote on the back of the CD booklet perfectly. "This record was written for the dreamers. For the people that have, in one way or another been cut down or cast out of society for being different or having an opinion. It is an expression of insecurity and frutration, and yet the will to overcome. There is no turnig back now that you've opened up your mind. Shinedown" // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album overall has a very experienced sound to it, which is impressive due to the fact that it is their first studio album. If you want to hear what Shinedown is about, listen to their masterpeiece that is "45". Other promising tracks on it are "Fly From The Inside", "Burning Bright", and their cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man". // 10

Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 27, 2004

Sound: First off let me start by saying that this album is amazing. There really is no way to describe it. The guitar playing is awesome, it goes along really well with the lyrics. The songs are well constructed and there are no 2 songs that sound alike. The styles are hard rock and alternative rock. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are incredible. It sounds like they were really thought out. They sound dark at some times. As I said before the lyrics and the music go together perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't really know who to compare Shinedown to. They are a sound all their own. Some of the best songs from the album are "Fly From The Inside", "Lost In The Crowd", "Burning Bright", and "45". I love everything about this album. I can't stop listening to it. I can't just skip through, I have to listen to every song. If this CD was ever stolen, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy it again. // 10

Leave A Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2005

Sound: Boring, bland, tedious, formulaic. Oh, sorry. I know only idiots that like Shinedown are reading this. I didn't mean to confuse you guys with the big words. I'll try to dumb it down even more than I already have. I'll stop insulting you guys now and get to the point. The sound is like anything else you'll find in today's music. Music today, with only a few exceptions, is, don't let me lose you here, "boring, bland, tedious, and formulaic" (if you don't mind me quoting myself). Well, I guess my work is done here. I've described the whole record. Damn, I still have to explain the lyrics and give my overall impression. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are near to horrible. Although I do like the lyrics on "Simple Man." Oh, wait, that was a cover song. I guess I hate all of the lyrics. If I was someone who liked mainstream stuff a lot, I would be pretty impressed with the lyrics. Or maybe if this came before the "I hate myself and I want to die" era (no disrespect to Nirvana), it would be outstanding, what am I saying? They're awful! // 2

Overall Impression: So I don't completely waste your time, I'll tell you some albums that are worth buying. The exceptions I mentioned are The Mars Volta "Frances The Mute," Alter Bridge "One Day Remains," Green Day "American Idiot," Breaking Benjamin "We Are Not Alone" (I'm surprised myslef at this one). These artists may save rock, but they are up against a lot of crap. Help save music by going out and buying some of these). When I was listening to the WRIF (which is now avalanched with, dare I say, "artists" like Linkin Park and Three Days Grace) I came across a man's voice that sounded so powerful to me that I listened to the rest of the song. The song is called ".45." The simple guitar and bass parts didn't really bother me. I loved that song so much I went out and bought "Leave A Whisper." When I listened to the album, I realized that ".45" was the only real impressing song on the record. And to this day, I feel the same. If I had to pick songs that I liked, I'd pick ".45," "Burning Bright," and "Simple Man." But I think that those are the only ones that I like. // 4

Comments