Somewhere In The Stratosphere review by Shinedown

• Released: May 3, 2011
Shinedown: Somewhere In The Stratosphere

This is a live album by Shinedown with two parts. The First is an electric version of their songs. It features 17 songs. There is also an accompanying live DVD included. This album was recorded on their Carnival Of Madness tour. The album starts off with a short intro and then "The Sound Of Madness" and finishes off with "Second Change", with a great song line up in between. The Second part is what I found most intriguing. While a lot of bands do a "unplugged" show sometime in their career, Shinedown done it very interesting. The second disc is a live more acoustic version of their songs. They use primarily acoustic guitar, but don't loose the other instruments and showmanship of their live shows. This part was recorded and filmed in Kansas City.

Brent Smith has a very powerful voice and great lyrics to his songs. What I love most about this CD/DVD combo is on the second DVD (the acoustic set). In between songs he adds story telling to the show. Its a great insight into how each song was created and its meaning. Its a great experience to get deeper into the artist head and what their ameans to them. He also tells about his life, son, his battle with addiction, helping save a friend and more.

Overall the album is very well put together. I believe this is their best album so far. I know that Shinedown doesn't always get the best reviews lately, but I was very impressed with this record. Most of all it is at a great value bringing together two styles of a live show on both CD and DVD.

DunUltex
    one thing i hate about ALOT of muso's (and im a muso myself) is that they are WAY too close minded it's either "not too brutal enough" or something along those lines i listen to AC/DC and Airbourne (i'm aussie btw), Metallica, Pantera, GNR, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Annihilator, Exodus, Dream Theater, Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, Skyhooks, Bullet for My Valentine, Trivium, Shinedown, aswell as Nickelback and Black Veil Brides and the list goes on with different types of bands open your minds, dont be afraid of getting into something different, even if you're gonna cop a lot of flack for it, listen to what you want without fear of judgement
    fenderman9
    When did Soundgarden do it? They have a concert DVD? What is it called? Id buy it.
    Countsluggo
    i liked the set. Pretty decent. Better live packages out there. It was a better show in person.