Somewhere In The Stratosphere Review

Shinedown: Somewhere In The Stratosphere
Released: May 3, 2011
Genre: Alternative Metal, Alternative Rock, Hard Rock, Post-Grunge
Label: Atlantic
Number Of Tracks: 33 (2CD)
This is a live album by Shinedown with two parts. The First is an electric version of their songs. The second disc is a live more acoustic version of their songs. I believe this is their best album so far.
 8.1
 7.1
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Somewhere In The Stratosphere Reviewed by: WesCThomp, on december 15, 2011

Sound: This is a live album by Shinedown with two parts. The First is an electric version of their songs. It features 17 songs. There is also an accompanying live DVD included. This album was recorded on their Carnival Of Madness tour. The album starts off with a short intro and then "The Sound Of Madness" and finishes off with "Second Change", with a great song line up in between. The Second part is what I found most intriguing. While a lot of bands do a "unplugged" show sometime in their career, Shinedown done it very interesting. The second disc is a live more acoustic version of their songs. They use primarily acoustic guitar, but don't loose the other instruments and showmanship of their live shows. This part was recorded and filmed in Kansas City. // 9

Lyrics: Brent Smith has a very powerful voice and great lyrics to his songs. What I love most about this CD/DVD combo is on the second DVD (the acoustic set). In between songs he adds story telling to the show. Its a great insight into how each song was created and its meaning. Its a great experience to get deeper into the artist head and what their ameans to them. He also tells about his life, son, his battle with addiction, helping save a friend and more. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall the album is very well put together. I believe this is their best album so far. I know that Shinedown doesn't always get the best reviews lately, but I was very impressed with this record. Most of all it is at a great value bringing together two styles of a live show on both CD and DVD. // 9

Comments