The Sound Of Madness review by Shinedown

• Released: Jun 24, 2008
Shinedown: The Sound Of Madness

"The Sound Of Madness" is the third album the band Jaksonville, Shinedown. This album, as suggests its title, is a true and proper revolution of the band, as the "madness" mentioned in the title, refers to the different musical approach of this album, just to hear songs such as the first single extract "Devour" Or the same as "The Sound Of Madness "or as "Cry For Help" or "Sin With A Grin" or "Sweet Tooth Cynaide Suicide", all songs with powerful, frenetic and" crazy "riffs, that the band in his previous albums had never done. However, the Shinedown have not completely abandoned their origins, but have kept very close to them, so we have beautiful songs like "The Crow and Butterfly", "Second Chance", "What a Shame," "If You Only Knew", "Breaking Inside" and "Call Me", all songs worthy of being written by Shinedown, corresponding perfectly the essence that made him become what are today. This innovation in their sound was accompanied by a heavy change of the members of the band from their latest album "Us and Them", first, Brad Stewart (Bass Guitar) leaves the band in 2007, then a few months before the release of "The Sound of Madness" Jasin Todd (lead guitarist) is hounded by the band (I was bad for 2 weeks when I heard this story), and finally the final formation of the band is Brent Smith (vocals), Barry Kerch (drums), Zach Myers (guitar), Nick Perri (lead guitar, ex-Silvertide) and Eric Bass (bass guitar). Finally I can say that I was pleasantly surprised in listening to this album, because after listening to the first 2 songs, I said "I bought the wrong album, these are not them, but playing awesome!" Then after listening to complete the album I said "They are the ones! And they are also improved, this album is a kick in the ass! Is varied, is played and sung well, great lyrics, perfect!" I conclude by saying that "The Sound Of Madness" was perhaps the most pleasant surprise of recent times, a band that knows how to maintain and improve their musical origins, and also include excellent innovations, would not you ever expected, is very rare in current metal scene. A good test for Shinedown, excellent album, perhaps the best album that the band has done, although I'm not sure because I'm still madly in love with "Leave a Whisper".

The lyrics in "The Sound Of Madness" are simply awesome. The lyrics do not speak all the same topic, but talk about various topics, from the first song "Devour" which was written by the band immediately after their trip to Iraq, and therefore, speaks about war, with which the band wants send a message "Nobody! Nobody! Nobody wants a war like this!" Other songs deal with completely different topics, like "Call Me", "Second Chance", "If You Only Knew" talking about interpersonal relationships and emotional experiences of the band, or songs like "Sound Of Madness" "Cry For Help" and "Suicide Cynaide Sweet Tooth" dealing with the disease present in today's society. Needless to say, Brent Smith wrote and interpreted these songs in ways perfect.

"The Sound Of Madness" is maybe the best album of the band of Jacksonville, in my opinion certainly better than "Us And Them", even if it lacks a song as "Lady so Divine", but I cannot say that it is better than "Leave a Whisper", because, as I said earlier, are still enamoured of their first album. I conclude my review, advising all those who put their eyes on this site, going to buy this album, truly unmissable. For fans of Shinedown I not say anything, so I know who have already bought the album or are going to buy at this time. Then listen to this album, it will not disappoint your expectations.

steve.howard
    I got my preorder copy on Friday. The limited edition is worth it, to me - three extra tracks that aren't particularly outstanding for Shinedown, but that's like talking about one of Shakespeare's lesser plays. Great variety on this album, both in terms of lyrical content and music ("Call Me" primarily uses a keyboard rather than guitars).
    yuke15
    the bass and guitar on the album were not recorded by members of the band, former or current. they brought in studio artists to do it. It is most definitely bullshit that Jasin doesn't get any credit on this album, its like Atlantic thinks we'll forget about what happened if they just sweep him under the rug.
    shadowsofbodom
    i had no idea then broke up for a bit..... i love both cd's and may have to buy this because shinedown is awesome
    filthylittleboy
    LOL that's why... they sound like a cheap version of Godsmack... I knew something was up when someone compared them to nickleback. what false advertising...
    HolyDiver1118
    I knew something was up when someone compared them to nickleback. what false advertising... Dude Shinedown is (imo) SOOOOO much better than Nickelback, for a couple reasons 1.) Shinedown isn't played endlessly on the radio to the point of insanity 2.) I'm pretty sure that Brent Smith isn't an egomanical jerk-off 3.) Shinedown show's alot more passion when they play as opposed to Nickelback who are, in some senses, sell-outs. Don't get me wrong Nickelback is good and all, but Shinedown is great I'm definitely getting this cd
    Kynyster_K
    I pre-ordered a limited edition version of the album, and a F***ING BADASS shirt came with it for like $34.48... It should be here soon. iHope.
    shadowsoverhell
    just picked up this cd. music is probably the best i've heard from Shinedown, very impressed with that. however, they apparently opted to completely skeet out on any kind of album art/anything. all ive got for the front is some lame-ass white page with shinedown's name in sloppy lettering, no booklet, no anything. the back is pure white with just black text and the only other thing to it is a high contrast black picture of the band on a pure white background behind the CD. no booklet, no lyrics, no art, nothing. and the cd itself just screams "we're being used by our record label." in an attempt to i guess look retro, 3/4 of the cd is covered by a massive ATLANTIC records logo, with "Shinedown - The Sound of Madness" in tiny print in the bottom corner. But aside from being pissed that there was absolutely no benefit to purchasing this album as opposed to downloading it, the music is incredible. i just happen to also enjoy artwork.
    Newbs28
    Just bought this one, I'll be seeing them in August with Black Stone Cherry. If you liked their stuff in the past, this CD will blow you away.
    K.i.S.A.
    Dreiken
    totenkopfSG wrote: *** THANK YOU JOF1029 people don't really seem to realize or remember the days of Jasin Todd. the man is the true unsung hero of this band. All of this records riffs are mainly derived from the ones HE wrote. dont get me wrong, i love nick perri and silvertide. nick is the ONLY man i would trust with Shinedown's guitar. BUT JASIN DID NOT LEAVE. HE WAS KICKED BY ATLANTIC FOR SOME BULLSH!T REASON. look at the facts. stop being sunshine fans. for those of us who've been there since Leave a Whisper, Jasin was the man. Seeing him live multiple times before, seeing the fire in his eyes and his Plant-Page stage relationship with Brent gave me chills down my spine and touched me to the core. I just saw them perform last night here in Houston and to be quite honest, zack and eric just can't ever fill the void that Jasin left behind when the shit went down. no one will give Jasin the credit that HE deserves for writing this record. except for me a few other valiant few... ***
    I believe I heard somewhere Jasin left for some sort of rehab, but I could be wrong.
    :.RaZoRbAcK.:
    I would consider myself a metal head, but i had neved heard this band and saw this album up for download on a music blog and SWEET JESUS was I surprised. Unbeleivable vocals, great southern guitar riffs, such passion in the songwriting and best of all, "Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide" may be the catchiest song ever, and for once I don't care about having a song stuck in my head. Brilliant album, if your dubious, don't be, go for it!
    violencekid9
    i'm a metalhead and i love shinedown brent has an amazing voice and i've been pleased with all of there albums
    Nightfyre
    Dewey1040
    haha whoever compared them to nickelback they are better for a lot of reasons 1. brents smith voice 2. Barry Kerch's drums 3. guitar whether its nick or j 4. not sell outs 5. not played endlessly on all radio stations 6. guitar solos are involved 7. almost all songs have a different feel to them while nickelbacks songs are all the same thing and usually about the same thing 8. the three shinedown cds are all different while all nickelback cds have the same sound to them 9. brent smiths voice 10. brent smiths voice
    this&that
    This is a bitchin' cd I got it this morning, but i think us and them us much better.
    jof1029
    hellraiser1133
    I LOVE Shinedown but I'm nervous to buy this album for some reason... I need one person to tell me it will be all that I expect it to be, after their previous hits, like .45, save me, burning bright, fly from the inside, I dare you, etc.
    outlawtorn003
    Lgndkllr777 wrote: Shinedown is an amazing band. Its a shame they lost Jasin Todd.
    Yeah I really liked his style, I'm curious to see how the next album turns out without him around. The new CD is pretty good but I'm still partial to the first one (not because of Simple Man either) it was just very well balanced.
    totenkopfSG
    __Ronnie__
    Shinedown is an incredible band and this is definitely a good album. However, I still prefer Us and Them and Leave A Whisper, but this is far from bad.
    uberphreak
    jof1029 wrote: i think all the reviewers so far missed the fact that the guitar playing on the album is still jasin todd. the album was done before he was out of the band. Nick Perri played bass on the album but now plays guitar live (great live show too).
    +1 But yeah I've loved this band since the minute Leave A Whisper came out. Brent is a ****ing awesome frontman, and they're all super musicians, and SO devoted to their fans! I saw a video on Youtube where the guitarist was literally throwing up off of the side of the stage while he stood there and continued to play their set. Brent went over now and then to see if he was okay, but he never asked to stop the set, he just kept on trucking. This album is their weakest so far in my opinion, but it's still very good.
    gorillas68
    yes the guitar on the album was jasin todd, however nick perri, in my opinion is a much better guitar player. I have been to many shinedown concert and ive seen silvertide twice... Nick Perri WAS Silvertide... and silvetide was a solid band. I think he is one of the best guitarist out there... Shinedown is better with him... i cant wait till their next CD when he gets to put his touch on all the songs, be prepared for some sick solos
    chea_man
    i remember buying there debut album, it was pretty cool. i remember hearing there secnd one, it was pretty cool. they are forgettable though. i like there brand of modern rock though, i enjoy listening to them.
    stitches31
    i listened to this cd all day at work and it hasnt gotten old. brent is an amazing singer. the only thing that its missing is some solos. other than that a great cd from a great band.
    Chikao42
    I was sceptical on my first listen, but it grows on you. I love the album now, can't turn it off.
    webbster87
    Nightfyre wrote: K.i.S.A. wrote: Anyone else notice all the people saying Shinedown sucks are metalheads? Shinedown is indeed unparalleled in music today. They are my all-time favorite band and they always will be. Jasin Todd is the reason I started playing guitar and 45 was the first song I learned to play. Long live Shinedown! May they make 20 more albums. I'm not your typical metalhead, but while I don't find that their music really stands out from the rest of the radio crowd from a creative or innovative standpoint, I still think they are worth noting because the music is well written and played. Good band, solid cd.
    well you wrong to say their not innovative or creative! radio these days is either rap or rock, not metal or hard rock which shinedown is either one! Plus you must never heard their other cd's because, they came from nothing to something by touring and making a great fan base and then selling there frist cd! Other bands are all about just making money and fame! SHINDOWN IS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC AND FANS!