Us And Them Review

Shinedown: Us And Them
Released: Oct 4, 2005
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal
You can still feel the passion in each song and it's good to know they are writing music they can feel.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.6
 8.4
Us And Them Reviewed by: TheREALMusic69, on october 07, 2005

Sound: Great sound, a little different from the first album. You can hear a good difference in "Save Me." The sound throughout this CD is all around pretty damn good. I you would listen to the last cd and this one you'd know theres more to this new one. // 9

Lyrics: These lyrics kick ass! They all just seem to fit really nicelty with each of the different songs. Flows great, has some good meaning, and is reflectable. The voice is great, really really good range in each song and all in tune. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is - it's something great that you could listen through time and time again. You could get addicted to this. It's got more to it then there first album but I still would go back to the first CD once in a while. I love its sound compared to the last CD. I'd like the fact if the CD was a little short. I would definately pick this CD again if something happened to it. // 9

Us And Them Reviewed by: lambofgod4750, on october 22, 2005

Sound: The music in this CD took a definate turn for the better. When I got their last album when it first came out I was awe struck. It was amazing. Now they have outdone themselves it's even better. I don't believe they are trying to get new fans either. This album sounds alot more southern, like going back to the roots and I love that! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. They are deep, meaningful and should be read into. Everything flows in perfect tune to. Brents voice kicks ass and so does the music so they flow fairly well. // 10

Overall Impression: This one blows their other album out of the water. It's just so much better. Their musical talent increased a hundred fold. The most impressive songs from this album to me are probably "Beyond The Sun" and "Shed Some Light." And lastly hell yes I would buy it again if I lost it. Paid 24.00 for the special edition yes I would buy it again! // 10

Us And Them Reviewed by: Dewey1040, on june 02, 2006

Sound: This band can sound like so many different types of rock music, not only older types but they have created a sort of signature sound. They sound very classic rock in Lady So Divine with a sweet guitar solo, they sound very Soundgardenish in Save Me and Heroes and songs like I Dare You and Beyond the Sun they sound like nothing but themselves. This has shown a huge improvement since there last CD. I like both but this is the CD that represents the great music they are capable of not just Nu-Metal because shinedown is better then every nu-metal band from the voice to the drums to the guitar, to the live shows they are just great. // 10

Lyrics: Brent Smith is the best rock vocalist of the last 15 years. I know some people will disagree with me but in their first cd he sounded like he was trying too hard and just over pronouncing the low notes but on this CD everything is great the high notes are hit with perfection he can hold notes extremely well in his ballads, he can scream he can hit low notes as well as anyone and he can switch between them all extremely fast. Oh I forgot about Lyrics, they are poetic musical and tell stories, they lyrics I wouldnt say are the greatest but Brent has time to improve the lyrics to songs. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion Shinedown deserves any credit anyone can give them, they are harder working then any other band out there, they will tour for 2 straight years take 2 weeks off and release an album they did this after the first CD and they said they will do it again. This CD is one of very few CDs that I can listen to over and over again and I mean like 4 times a day. The sound changes between songs and its just a beutifully crafted cd. There is only really two songs that are forgettable but they are still listenable. Fake and Atmosphere, the best on the album are Save Me, I Dare You, Heroes, Beyond the Sun, Lady So Divine (LSD), Shed Some Light, And I even like Begin Again a lot. If this was stolen and I had 10 bucks I would buy it as soon as possible. // 10

Us And Them Reviewed by: Egroves05, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Well what more can you say about Shinedown? The the most original new rock bands that have their own sound until this CD. I will admit that I love how this CD sounds. Great quality. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well, amazing. Brent Smith's voice is 2nd to none in todays rock. His vocal range is just awesome. Very unique. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this CD is it sounds more as if it should have been released back in the Stone Temple Pilot days. You can definatlly hear the influence in songs like Yer Majesty and Heroes. The best song on this cd in my opinon is called "Beyond The Sun" great acoustic verse with a slow but heavy chorus. Just an amazing song. For everyone out there expecting a "Leave A Whisper Part 2" then don't by this CD. It is very much different CD but a good kind of different. If someone stole this cd I would definatlly buy it again. // 8

Us And Them Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2005

Sound: This new CD kicks some serious ass, I loved the first one and after hearing "Save Me" and "Begin Again" on the internet, I knew I had to have this CD the day it came out, and I have listened to it every day since. They have a very hard sound on some songs and then the next track will be acoustic, and they will mix both in the same song, a very diverse and unique sound which is awesome. I can't wait until some tabs get posted for these songs, because I am dying to play some of them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, they all come together with the song greatly, and Brent has an awesome voice, very fluxuating, he can go from one octave to another so quickly, and he knows how to put on a show also, if you havent seen this band in concert, either do so, or pick up a copy of the DVD "Live From The Inside," he works the crowd more than any other band I have ever seen. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has a great impression, I have every song nearly memorized because I have listened to it that much, the songs sound different so you dont just hear the same thing over and over, I love this entire CD, the deluxe edition has 3 acoustic tracks with it also which is the acoustic versions of "Save Me," "I Dare You" and "Some Day," get this and you will not be dissappointed with it. // 10

Us And Them Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2005

Sound: This CD is obviously trying to get attention. I think that they are trying to bring in new fans and make their current fans get a little diversity. This CD is very different from their last one. They took a very unexpected turn with this CD. The overall sound of this CD is more upbeat and rockier. 'Shed Some Light' is the only song on this album that reminds me of their last album, songs on their old album like '45' or 'Simple Man'. I think that this new sound is very good and inovative. They are trying new things out and progressing. Their sound is really evolving. Although, some of the songs did remind me of Soundgarded or Audioslave, they still had the Shinedown touches. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good. They are a bit tricky to figure out, but they do have a lot of meaning. Brent is an amazing singer. I have always loved his voice. They don't showcase his voice as much as they did in the last album, which is ok but bad in ways. The songs that showcase his voice always seem to sound a lot better and put together better. They still do a good job lyrics wise and voicewise. Excelent. I just wish his voice would have been shown more. // 9

Overall Impression: This album, although oddley different from their last, is still a great CD. I think it stacks up very well against many current artists. The single, 'Save Me', is very good. I love the solo in it, not the best solo, but its still pretty damn cool. Some of the better songs I would have to say are: 'Heroes', 'Shed Some Light', 'Fake', 'Yer Majesty'. // 10

Us And Them Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 21, 2005

Sound: I was just hanging out at home when my brother said, "Hey this is for you" and flipped me Us And Them. I love my brother. I have to be honest at first I was a little skeptical because for a little bit I had drifted away a little from the harder rock. Yeah, I'm back now. This CD is a real piece of work. Just a well put together combo of Brent Smith's vocals and killer guitar sounds of Jasin Todd makes this cd worth $13.99 at your local FYE. Go buy now. // 10

Lyrics: Standout track on this cd vocally was Atmosphere. I call it the standout track because when I listen to the chorus I just think to myself, "You know, I would like to hear Brent Smith sing this without the music." His voice is so powerful it almost sounds like it could break the speakers. The lyrics he writes are deep and meaningful and the standout track lyrically is in my humble opinion, Yer Majesty. It was just put together so well. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm reading a lot of reviews saying this isn't as good as Leave A Whisper. I disagree. I got that CD and loved it. But for some reason I got burned out on it and I didn't play it to death. This CD completely blows away Leave A Whisper. You can't go wrong with Us And Them. And if anyone says otherwise, I will stab you in the jaw. // 10

Us And Them Reviewed by: screamline, on january 09, 2006

Sound: Shinedown has really made an improvement on their music. Though they do not have as much of those harder rock songs they make up for it for having really good soft songs. Also they have shown better guitar skills with a better and more solo and better chorus parts. They show more emotion and feeling and have created something really good, but not great. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album is really impressive. They us metaphores which is a really big plus for me and they show deep emotion and feeling for getting the message across. Brent smith has exploded his voice and has shown he can sing not only deep bass parts but high vocals. He is a good singer and I can wait to see what new stuff they have. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this album and my second favorite behind Chevelle: this type of thinking. I have told my friends about how bad ass shinedown is and how talented they are. I think every one should by this CD and learm from it. // 9

Us And Them Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2006

Sound: I got this CD for Christmas, and I gotta say I really likee it. Is it as good as Leave A Whisper. Well that isn't a fair question I think. Shinedown has so much talent, and the sound on the 2 albums are completely different. I like that it was not leave a second whisper or something like that. Shinedown has a very unique sound, and while I enjoyed Leave A Whisper more, this is better than half the crap out there. // 8

Lyrics: Great lyrics. To many times do you get bands just talking about what is popular, and stuff that has so meaning. I might be completley wrong, but Shinedown sounds like they mean what they say, and don't give a crap whether they get on MTV. // 10

Overall Impression: I really am happy with this album. I think it sounds different then lots of stuff out there. It's heavy, but not that heavy. It's the perfect mix. I love most of the songs on there, but there are some I could go without. But I say if you want to hear music, get this and Leave A Whisper. // 9

Us And Them Reviewed by: Mutated_nantuko, on june 07, 2006

Sound: Absolutely brilliant. Starts off with the mic being handed to the guitarists daughter, where she reads a breathtakingly chilling poem. The poem is the lifeline of all the songs, in which that things are changing. Things are changing and things are not what they appear. All of the songs of this CD tie in to that poem, and it's wonderful. "I Dare You" has the hardest vocal line I've seen in alt-metal to date. Amazing CD throughout. // 10

Lyrics: Simply artistic. Wonderful similies, metaphores, and alliterations throughout the CD. I didn't know this, but the second track, "Heroes," is written about Dimebag Darrel, and how he had recently died. If you listen to it you wouldn't catch it, but it's there. And the lyrics to "Begin Again" rock so goddamn hard. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want some metal/grunge that you wouldn't mind someone walking in while you listen to it, buy this. They don't swear because they really have no reason to, they're that solid of a band. The best part is the solo in "Lady So Divine" It'll blow you away. Go get it. // 10

Us And Them Reviewed by: clemm, on february 16, 2008

Sound: When I first herd of Shinedown in 2006, I listened to their first album Leave A Whisper, and I was impressed. Then I listened to their second album Us and Them, I was blown away by how amazing the sound was. The guitar parts were incredible and the drum beats couldn't have been better! This has been my favorite band since 2006 and I can't wait for their 3rd album to be released. To sum up Shinedown's sound on Us And Them; amazing. // 9

Lyrics: I don't even know where to start! These lyrics just blew me away, every song had meaning in them, some more powerful than others, but I am amazed and how good these lyrics are. I don't know where they come up with these lyrics, but they are perfect for the songs they make! No one can replace Brent Smith's voice. Ever. He has an amazing voice for the music they play, and a killer voice when he really Emphysemas a part of the song. He is the best singer for this group. To sum their lyrics up in one word; perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing this album to their first one Leave a Whisper, I must say it's quite an improvement, as they call it "sophomore effort". Comparing this with other "alternative rock" bands, I would have to say their in the top 20%. I was amazed by this album and their first album. I think the most impressive songs would have to be: Heroes, Save Me, I Dare You, and Someday. These are impressive in sound, and in lyrics, they have meaning instead of "I screwed the wrong girl last night." I have nothing to hate about this album, it is my favorite of all bands. If my songs were lost or stolen. I would be very unhappy, and probably go buy it again cause there just so good! To sum up my overall impression (can't fit it into one word it's so good); Shinedown puts time, thought, and a lot of effort into their songs, and for that I respect them. // 10

Comments