The Egg Review

Shiner: The Egg
Released: Oct 23, 2001
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Alternative Rock, Math Rock
Label: DeSoto Records
This album have made history on the post-hardcore genre in the fantastic 2001, Shiner gives on this final album a few progressive sounds that never before have listened.
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Egg Reviewed by: Muser9909, on december 21, 2015

Sound: This album, with Fugazi's "The Argument" and Unwound's "Leaves Turn Inside You" have made history on the post-hardcore genre in the fantastic 2001, Shiner gives on this final album a few progressive sounds that never before have listened, also have some indie landscape with some experimentation and psychedelic moments that always I say, with one listen isn't easy to listen, but one time you hold on the train, you don't wanna go out of these experience. First of all, the guitar riffs variate, sometimes hard ("Play Dead"), sometimes mathy ("Andalusia"), sometimes experimental ("Simple Truth"), and acoustic ("Stoned") but with much creativity, the battery is awesome and the bass is simply fantastic, but the cherry on the cake is the organ and synthetizer parts, that give much experimentation to this album (these amazing sound you found on excellent songs like "The Top of the World" and "Simple Truth"), very, very awesome, and normally, on post-hardcore genre, isn't easy to find something like that, all with an excellent production. The amazing experimental indie post-hardcore of Shiner, deserves a 10, nothing more to say. // 10

Lyrics: Probably the least important thing on the album, the bizarre lyrics are some good, but the singer is not very good, from the start to end, the lyrics are something difficult to understand, if you don't believe me, watch a part of the lyrics of "The Truth About Cows":

"The cows are making love
they'll leave when they are done
asleep and on the ground
without a sound"

I founded this something funny, because the lack of comprehension of this don't be me another choice for laugh for the bizarre. LOL. Nothing more to say, a 7. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is unique in the sound, sometimes compares to some post-hardcore experimental albums of the year, like the Fugazi "The Argument" or the excellent "Leaves Turn Inside You" by Unwound, this album is very underrated, and I consider one of the best post-hardcore albums of that year, their sound is very interesting, because combine indie, lo-fi, progressiveness and experimentation in all the faces. Also, have one of the best songs of the decade for me, which is "The Top of the World," this song is amazing, I love it. Probably the worst of the album is the lyrics and the singer, but don't affect the amazing music that to more listens than one, immerses you in a strange and bizarre world. No more words, give it a listen. // 10

Comments