Stack Is The New Black review by Short Stack

• Released: Aug 14, 2009
Short Stack: Stack Is The New Black

Short Stack are best described as an "emo" or "pop punk." And their debut album, Stack Is The New Black certaintly lives up to these genres and their singles released prior to the release of the album. The boys from Short Stack have said that no matter what genre you like, there's something on this album for you. That is definitley exaggerating. The sound is very alive and energetic, with lead singer Shaun Divney screaming out the lyrics and bassist Andy Clemmensen and drummer Braide Webb supplying some fast paced tunes to go along. The boys are young, and lucky for them they have some time to work on their instruments and voices, because it is evident that Divney could work on his vocals. But it's obvious that not every song sounds the same unlike what is common with many bands these days. There is even a dark and slightly morbid song, "Thick As Thieves" featuring some nice drumming and a piano intro. You certainly won't be able to get a song from this album out of your head for the next week!. These boys are definitley not gonna fade into the background, with big things promised even from their Debut. There's room to grow, but they are sure to become a big and very good band in no time.

The lyrics on Short Stack's new album are the typical teen lyrics, but are put together quite clever with a catchy tune. Featuring lyrics such as "Kill your boyfriend, we can be together" from the catchy song "Sway Sway Baby" which debuted number 2 on the ARIA charts for a week, before dropping to 27. Other catchy lyrics include "I miss you already, my eyes are getting heavy, it shakes so keep us steady, I'll be your blunt machete." from bonus track "We All Know." and "Hope you drop dead gorgeous, hope you drop dead anyway!" from "Drop Dead Gorgeous." The lyrics certaintly are a bit dark and edgy but a served so energetically it's unnoticed. Lead Vocalist Shaun Divney has potential, and certainly shines with his vocals in most of the songs. Some songs it appears his voice struggles a bit more, especially in the slower songs. It appears Divney is better at screaming out the loud tunes than the softer ones.

There are definitley some pros to this album and only a few cons. Pros: Energetic and Lively Catchy (though sometimes getting the urge to break out in "Shimmy A Go Go" in a meeting can be a bad thing.) Lives up to the genre! Additude all wrapped up with liveliness makes a great song. Variety. Edgy lyrics. Cons: Vocals could be improved Some music could be improved. It's catchy and enjoyable but can be sloppy in places, but it isn't evident if your not looking for it. Overall I thought this album was ace, especially for a small Australian band with little experience, and there are few debuts I can say are enjoyable. The standout songs are easily "Sway Sway Baby," "We All Know," "Shimmy A Go Go" and "The Back Of My Head." If anything happend to this album I would definitley buy it again. For $12 you can't get better, especially for a debut album. Expect big things from Short Stack!

GraceEmma_
    great guys, I've met them a few times because I live near them, aswell as having great music they also have great personalities. great work guys!
    shalee rox
    bounty176
    saRAWR
    Short stack are far from the best band ever. Anyone who says this really needs to listen to some real music. But I will admit that their music is catchy and fun, and while it may not be technically decent, they still manage to push out some great tunes, even if the band does rely heavily on Shauns (terrible) vocals. They definitely have potential, maybe if andy learnt to play more than 1 string & shaun got some (or alot of) singing lessons. Bradie, despite being the youngest, is most definitely the most talented in the band. I mean, he's actually able to play his instrument xD I won't deny shauns talent as a lyricist, lines such as "I'll write your name in bullets so youre the last thing through my head" and "I fall in love but no, never in grace" prove that. Maybe with some hard work they'll improve & their next album will be much better
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    "The boys from Short Stack have said that no matter what genre you like, there's something on this album for you." ooh boy do i beg to differ.
    200tommo791
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahah what cee you next tuesday's.
    Mr Pringle
    seemeel
    I saw these guys live last week (as my mates were the supporting band). As musicians, they were woeful. The singer was the worst of the lot - he missed notes consistently, and forgot lyrics on a few occasions. As performers, however, they have a definite stage presence that would appeal to young girls. However, there were no young girls there as the show was 18+. Some of the songs were okay, but I found them to be quite bland, and the lyrics ranged from average to disgracefully poor. In short, I can see how some people would enjoy the live show, but as for buying the record, I can't understand how or why anyone would bother.
    reaper_x
    JagerSlushy wrote: "Hope you drop dead gorgeous, hope you drop dead anyway!" from "Drop Dead Gorgeous." Hmm. Way to be original! But seriously, what loser steals another band's name, and puts it in their lyrics and song title?
    Wtf, Drop Dead Gorgeous is a phrase that people use everyday, not just the name of a generic sh*tcore band.
    Pulse535
    bounty176 wrote: Mr Pringle wrote: Pros and cons about short stack: Pros: They will eventually dissapear because people will stop thinking about them and they will stop existing. Cons: They're a band,they can't play any instrument they're given, people BUY the albums, they make money somehow, they get gigs, they all have the same hair, they all dress the same and i'm not sure what sexuality they are. pro: they are the best band ever and dont forget that, short stack is the new thing, short stack sound soo mad at their concerts, short stack have the best drummer ever, short stack have alot of fans and idiots will have to get through them, short stack got really great songs cons: none, youll be stupid to have bad things about them
    They're one of the worst bands to come out of Australia...
    bounty176
    shalee rox wrote: anyway if you people dont like short stack why do u waste your time looking at there reviews and commenting them..... do you guys agree with me
    i know they are soo stupid i told someone that on youtube, i think they just want to be notised or they are just complete idiots thinking they are soo cool
    KingGohma
    The phrase "drop dead gorgeous" was not created by the shitty hardcore band.
    JagerSlushy
    -sam-
    they come from my area, and saw them live/played with them many times over the couple of years before they were famous. they started off bad, they got worse. shaun is completley tone deaf, you will not understand how severley he suffers from this crippling disability for singers until you see them live. i saw them play live with countless other 16-17 year old bands, and they were often the worst of the show, in terms of live performance. their success shows the state of the music industry.