Stack Is The New Black Review

7.3
 6.4
review (1) 22 comments vote for this album:
Stack Is The New Black Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 28, 2009

Sound: Short Stack are best described as an "emo" or "pop punk." And their debut album, Stack Is The New Black certaintly lives up to these genres and their singles released prior to the release of the album. The boys from Short Stack have said that no matter what genre you like, there's something on this album for you. That is definitley exaggerating. The sound is very alive and energetic, with lead singer Shaun Divney screaming out the lyrics and bassist Andy Clemmensen and drummer Braide Webb supplying some fast paced tunes to go along. The boys are young, and lucky for them they have some time to work on their instruments and voices, because it is evident that Divney could work on his vocals. But it's obvious that not every song sounds the same unlike what is common with many bands these days. There is even a dark and slightly morbid song, "Thick As Thieves" featuring some nice drumming and a piano intro. You certainly won't be able to get a song from this album out of your head for the next week!. These boys are definitley not gonna fade into the background, with big things promised even from their Debut. There's room to grow, but they are sure to become a big and very good band in no time. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on Short Stack's new album are the typical teen lyrics, but are put together quite clever with a catchy tune. Featuring lyrics such as "Kill your boyfriend, we can be together" from the catchy song "Sway Sway Baby" which debuted number 2 on the ARIA charts for a week, before dropping to 27. Other catchy lyrics include "I miss you already, my eyes are getting heavy, it shakes so keep us steady, I'll be your blunt machete." from bonus track "We All Know." and "Hope you drop dead gorgeous, hope you drop dead anyway!" from "Drop Dead Gorgeous." The lyrics certaintly are a bit dark and edgy but a served so energetically it's unnoticed. Lead Vocalist Shaun Divney has potential, and certainly shines with his vocals in most of the songs. Some songs it appears his voice struggles a bit more, especially in the slower songs. It appears Divney is better at screaming out the loud tunes than the softer ones. // 8

Overall Impression: There are definitley some pros to this album and only a few cons. Pros: Energetic and Lively Catchy (though sometimes getting the urge to break out in "Shimmy A Go Go" in a meeting can be a bad thing.) Lives up to the genre! Additude all wrapped up with liveliness makes a great song. Variety. Edgy lyrics. Cons: Vocals could be improved Some music could be improved. It's catchy and enjoyable but can be sloppy in places, but it isn't evident if your not looking for it. Overall I thought this album was ace, especially for a small Australian band with little experience, and there are few debuts I can say are enjoyable. The standout songs are easily "Sway Sway Baby," "We All Know," "Shimmy A Go Go" and "The Back Of My Head." If anything happend to this album I would definitley buy it again. For $12 you can't get better, especially for a debut album. Expect big things from Short Stack! // 8

Comments