Howl Howl Gaff Gaff review by Shout Out Louds

• Released: May 24, 2005
Shout Out Louds: Howl Howl Gaff Gaff

This album is a fun, poppy, danceable, joyride with a lot of emotion behind it. The main style of the album is indie garage-pop, but they mix in some lovely synth lines that will get you either smiling or dancing. As well as elements of country, jazz, classic alt-rock, and some new wave that blends with the brilliant, riffy pop. The use of an acoustic track mingles very well with the other instruments, giving it a fuller, more plesant sound. The sythesizer voices aren't over the top, but a fun bright and really melodic.

The majority of the songs have well written, quite original, lyrics. They are all very catchy and sink in with the music. The lyrics have good meaning and show a great deal of care and emotion. Some of the words used may be somewhat generic, but the messages behind it make up for it. I would say that the singer has talent but his voice may put some people off a bit, but it suits their style perfectly. The back-up vocalist is quite good and even though its a woman, it dosen't effect the sound in a bad way.

I compared this to an album from Sondre Lerche, another Scandinavian artist who also plays fun, synth-y, pop, and the Shout Out Louds surpass him and he's one of my favorite artists. All of the tracks are good, but the ones that stand out are "Please, Please, Please," "The Comeback," "Very Loud," "Hurry Up, Let's Go," and "Seagull," there isn't much to hate here unless you don't like this type of music, of course. If my copy was stolen, then I would kill the guy and get it back. If your a fan of this type of music then you must get it, they will become one of favorite bands. I saw them live when they were opening for Kings Of Leon at The Fillmore in San Francisco, and their performance changed my life and made me a fanatic for them, especially since I stood in the front row and was standing five feet away from the band. So if your looking for a great new band, and like alternative music, then pick up this album now.