Dressed Up As Life review by Sick Puppies

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Sick Puppies: Dressed Up As Life

Sick Puppies are a three piece rock band coming out of Austrailia. They have a modern rock sound that is all their own, mixing in the dark and disturbing with a barrage of guitars, slamming drums and a thumping bass line *especially in the song "Howard's Tale". Almost every song in the entire album is a joy to listen to. The guitarist is technically proficient with enough interesting riffs to keep the album goings along nicely. There's a mix of songs that range from isolation and wanting to belong like in "My World" to love songs like the single "All The Same" to the very macabre like the aforementioned "Howard's Tale."

My overall impression of the lyrics I would have to give a solid 8 to. Each of the their songs stands tall on their own, but they all fall into a sort of teenage angst setting, to which I am guessing the target audience of the album is aimed towards. Each song is either about, how ones life is unfair, how a girl left him or he has left a girl. How the world doesn't understand him or abuse. The lyrics can get a little goofy sometimes, not really fitting within the context of the songs but the singer sort of squeezes them into the song.

This is defiantly one of my top albums I am listening to right now, each song is very very very good, and the singer has a very good voice, the band itself can play, I would expect more from the guitarist next go around with more in the way of solo's and more then just simple chord progressions. That might have been more acomplished if the album had a rythem guitarist, but I do have a large amount of respect for the power Trio as some of the worlds greatest bands have been spawned from the power of the three. I give this albums overall impression a solid 9, it could use improvement but for who they are and what it is, it's a definate favorite and good album.

Nickster29
    Sick Puppies right now are my favorite band. Its hard not to get one of their songs stuck in your head. And for their debut album(excluding Welcome to the Real World) to be this good, you can only expect them to get better. Besides their studio preformance, they put on the greatest show in concert. They get the crowd so pumped and put out so much evergy. Even if they screw up, you wont notice. All and all, they are pretty darn good.
    Kai07
    Sick Puppies rule :3 I really like them, and I'm seeing them in concert in April :headbang: Rock on =]
    The Yellow Star
    Love love love this band! Dressed up as life is a breath of fresh air in today's music. I couldn't have been happier with this band, Plus Emma Anzai is the proclaimed "Female flea" Which she definetly lives up to the name.
    TheDC
    i saw them live yesterday and they were really good. got the crowd pumped up almost as much as puddle of mudd. the bass player was definitely one of the most talented bassists i've ever seen, male or female.