( ) review by Sigur Rós

• Released: Oct 29, 2002
Sigur Rós: ( )

Sigur Ros are a very hard band to define. They certainly don't sound like anything else I've heard. They are musically innovative. The guitarist uses a violin bow on his electric guitar to produce some weird and wonderful sounds unheard of before. I guess if you wanted to tie Sigur Ros down to a genre you could put them in alternative/indie. Overall their sound is amazing. Violins, guitars, sampling, drums, bass, vocals are all used to create an emphatic record that builds up and while it may not be a catchy song, the songs on the album will stick in your mind based on their sheer brilliance.

Lyrically I can't really comment. They don't use all English lyrics (they're Swedish if you haven't guessed already) but the English ones used aren't particularly anything new. Lyrics aren't really meant to go with this type of music. Don't let the no lyrics thing put you off.

Compared to other artists it's different. You cannot compare it to other artists as it's a completely different and new style. I don't have a favourite song from the album. They're all fantastic. It's the perfect chill out album. Stick it on when you want a break from fast paced distorted stuff. Definitely worth buying, if it were stolen or lost I'd have no hesitation in replacing it. Definitely buy it.