( ) review by Sigur Rós

• Released: Oct 29, 2002
Sigur Rós: ( )

I learned about Sigur Ros and this CD from a friend that had the same musical interests as me (i.e. Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, etc). So I borrowed the CD took a quick listen and came to the conclusion that they sucked. It wasn't until I listened to the album in its entirety that I found out that this band was great. Also these group of guys are some of the most talented I have seen in awhile, in example their lead singer/guitarist Jón Þór Birgisson (Jonsi) uses a bow, I have not seen this in quite some time, last and the only time I have ever seen a guitarist use a bow is probably the great Jimmy Page. Also their drummer Orri Pill Dorason not only plays drums he also plays piano and other various instruments. I also liked the fact that on this album Sigur Ros left everything blank. They left the booklet blank the back blank, the songs don't even have titles. So your just left with the music and also left with your own interpretations of what their trying to make you feel or say in their songs.

This is the first time I have ever seen a band do this. On "( )," Sigur Ros used no written language (they usually sing in Icelanic like on "Von"), it's just basically gibberish, purely made up by the singer. Because they think a singer is just another instrument in the band, so why should it be so special? Also the words on this album are almost all the same just mixed up, or extended.

This album does not compare to any other albums before, Sigur Ros is purely original. I hope to see more bands like Sigur Ros in the future. One of the most impressive songs on this album has got to be track #4 aka "Njósnavélin," this song was featured on the "Vanilla Sky" soundtrack and is one of my favorite songs from Sigur Ros. If this album was lost or stolen I definitely would buy another one in fact I have two. And you should too.