( ) review by Sigur Rós

• Released: Oct 29, 2002
Sigur Rós: ( )

This album is close at the top of my personal favorites. They carry a very emotional tone which will cause you to love it or hate it. I would think if your taste in music was good, and you were familiar with the band you will love it. This is the bands 4th CD and they took a step in a very experimental direction. A lot of the album is ambient with repetitive riffs and beats, but they are sonances that you wont soon forget after removing your headphones. Jonsi's falsetto singing style acts more as a powerful instrument droning over the music itself than for the sole purpose of getting a message across, which it beautifully does. The use of the bow on the guitar brings an interesting sound which creates the great ambience that this album delivers.

The lyrics can only be described in two words; mysteriously beautiful. The singer, Jonsi, is using a language called Volenska (hopelandic) which is basically nonsense words and syllables combined to shadow the Icelandic language. The lyrics are basically jibberish which leaves it completely up to your imagination what he is really trying to say. His falsetto voice gracefully joins into the song with the other instruments. Don't sit there searching up lyrics or translations because you wont find any concrete answers, only what other people think he is trying to say. Listen to the album in it's entirety and then go back and make your own mind up.

I personally think this is their best peice of work thus far. The songs which grip me the most are untitled 3 and 4. The transition between songs is brilliant and they work well off each other. You may love it or hate it, but I will tell you this is one album that will grip your emotions no matter what genre of music you love, and turn them upside down.

bountykilla
    They're not Swedish, they're from Iceland, onlyonehere. The lyrics aren't any in any form of tongue, it's a lyricism technique that they call "hopelandish", a mixture of icelandish and jibberish. The voice is then purely and instrument, with pitch and texture.
    Deepkanwal
    Their an incredible band and one of my favourites. Popplagi (untitled 8) is one of the best Sigur Ros songs ever.
    trozt
    i knew this band not long ago but i tottaly fell in love whit them. i just want to say that this is the beest album ever, why? there a new propossal, or wherever, jaja y barely speak english, dont ask me to write it well, jeje, however, the leguaje that they used is one called HOPPELANDIC, bjork also uses it. I trely Believe this is where the band achieve a certain state of musical maturity, is sober, natural, calm it can lead you into a secret state of converzation, exactly the way to listening to it is track by track, alone in your room and no lights, of course very loud completing the album there's aldo a DVD called Heima, the movie from their tour, all over icelenad, the end is the great popplagid song, watch it, won't fell regret at all
    Jozef23
    It's in a language called Vonlandic. A language which is as weird as the band. But their weirdness makes them so awesome. Nobody else is like them and this album is a masterpiece