Kveikur review by Sigur Rós

• Released: Jun 12, 2013
Sigur Rós: Kveikur

Icelandic rockers Sigur Ros have been breaking their way through the waves of typical generic-sounding rock groups since the late '90s, when they released their signature debut album titled "Von." If you were casually browsing your local music store in 1997, their creative album cover and outlandish title would've immediately caught your attention. But even if they didn't, their unique take on the post-rock musical genre would have. Their music is heavily comprised of electronic synthesizer beats and swooning lyrical execution, which almost immediately took over the ears of fans on an international scale. If you're already an established fan of this group, then I can easily say that you will be able to passionately enjoy Sigur Ros' new outing, "Kveikur." Following in the footsteps of such earlier pressings as "Takk..." and "( )," this album bears a similarly creative title and strange album cover, but musically has the band taking on a significantly heavier overall sound. Throughout such songs as "Brennisteinn" and "Isjaki," that familiar synthesizer playing has been lowered to a depressive lower octave, with wailing vocals and group melodies layered on top of the mix. This more aggressive evolution in sound allows "Kveikur" to easily stand out from the rest of Sigur Ros' catalogue, while also not completely abandoning the style that originally made them so unique.

Lead vocalist Jn r Birgisson does a noteworthy job at maintaining the "Sigur Ros" factor throughout this new album. Whenever a band decides to experiment with alternative takes on their own original style, the sound that made them so unique in the first place and allow them to standout from all other newcomers to the genre, it's always a risky move that does occasionally result in failure. So you need a factor in your music that roots back to your past, to keep your music sounding familiar; and in this case, Jn is this anchor to this sound.

With their new album "Kveikur," Icelandic post-rock group Sigur Ros manage to pull of a daring stunt that involved a dramatic change in their original style of sound, and not only making it work, but also continuing to sound like themselves. And in the end you have a collection of songs that are familiar yet fresh sounding, that should please any current follower of the band as well as any post-rock listener.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

KidZero
    Glad to see this album reviewed, just feel like you could have said a little more about it...
    Bruntti
    Wow I didn't even know that they had a new one coming out. Gonna go buy this first thing tomorrow.
    travislausch
    Some of it is damn near post-metal in its intensity, but all of it is excellent. I do enjoy Sigur Ros a lot more when they're more song-oriented rather than ambient. My favourites are Brennisteinn, Hrafntinna, and the title track. And even though it's more aggressive, it never feels like any other band. It still sounds like Sigur Ros.
    Weszilla
    Really enjoyed this album. About their most uptempo\intense work yet.
    zanderiego
    thought it was a fantastic album and shows sigur ros have some versatility. I'd say its a bit more progressive than other albums but it's still undeniably Sigur Ros. Looking forward to seeing them in edinburgh later this year!
    BledGhostWhite
    First time listening to Sigur Ros. Really digging it
    Jason Ganner
    Me too,always been put off by the "post rock" tag in the past.I need to start looking at more new bands to top up my 60-00s favourites,discovered Amon Amarth today on this site too.:
    Jozef23
    I feel this album is their darkest album yet, or at least close to (). Sadly the review doesn't contain enough information to provide anyone hints on it, but an Australian newspaper gave it 4 very well deserved stars out of 5. Sigur Ros are brilliant
    lVlaniac
    I loved the album. Quite a turn from what we were used to hear from them (quiet, nice, calmed, happy songs) to this harsher more intense and intricated work. Im quite in love with this album.
    jazznstuff1001
    I'm not the biggest fan of Sigur Ros, I've always found that I enjoy their post-rock contemporaries Dirty Three or Godspeed You! Black Emperor far more. However, I did enjoy this album, it was a solid effort from the band.
    Ndanny
    music is not all about going back to your roots for each album...
    primus182
    overratted artist
    N7Crazy
    Love it! I'm quite new to Sigur Ros, but they've caught my attention much faster than any other band I can remember in a long time...