Diorama review by Silverchair

• Released: Jul 30, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Silverchair: Diorama

Silverchair have changed! With their earlier albums such as Frogstamp and Freakshow, Silverchair had a nice heavy rock sound, especailly with awesome songs such as "Slave" which I'm sure all Silverchair fans should have heard. But since Daniel Johns (the Silverchair singer) has been cured from a terrible viral infection of arthiritis, the style of Silverchair seems to have changed. The music seems to be happier. And it is, I'll give them that, from what I found out from an interview a couple of years ago. Daniel says ever since he had gotten better, he had been a lot happier and the songs on Diorama were based on this happiness. I was a little disappointed to be honest, and miss the old sound of Silverchair.

The lyrics are happy! To be honest I found this quite surprising because Silverchair's lyrics were usually not that happy (unless the were, if so, I apoligize). I found the lyrics on this album well-structered, although seem to be better suited to being read out in poem form, not in so-called "rock" form, which I think Silverchair has departed from with this album. But one thing I wasn't disappointed about was the fantastic voice of Daniel Johns. He still has his skill! A fanastic voice, but isn't he singing the wrong stuff?

Overall, this album was a tame, disapointing instalment from Silverchair. Some great singing skills as usual from Daniel Johns, but I miss the old Silverchair! I hope they come back some time soonand make less disappointing albums like this.