Diorama review by Silverchair

• Released: Jul 30, 2002
Silverchair: Diorama

This was the first album of which I'd heard of from Silverchair and from what I'd gathered of the band, I wasn't looking forward to it. Their previous albums (of which I was told) were far more heavier than this album and due to my hatred of heavy music, I didn't hold high hopes for the album. As soon as I placed it in my stereo, my impression changed dramatically and I didn't stop listening to it until the CD had run through. What I found to be in this album, was not heavy metal, but alternative rock, with perhaps even some grunge placed in on some tracks.

Daniel Johns is without a doubt a brilliant singer, with an excellent vocal range, and how he manages to play lead guitar at the same time I will never know. The lyrics go perfectly with the instrumentals of the song which shows John's talent for composing as he was generally the main composer of the album. If I did mark down the lyrics for 'Diorama' it would be due to the fact I hardly understood any of the lyrics on the album. Although I usually got the general message, there were some parts where I was left staring confusedly at my stereo with my brain working overtime to figure out how that goes with the rest of the song.

As I mentioned earlier, I never expected much from this album and was greatly suprised at hearing it, that I enjoyed it. The standout song of the album is by far 'The Greatest View' which was the first single released from the album. Other songs I highly recommend are 'Without You', 'One Way Mule' and 'World Upon Your Shoulders'. This album goes down in my books as one of my favorites, and holds a rare record of which is that I found each song to be quite enjoyable.