Frogstomp review by Silverchair

• Released: Jun 20, 1995
Silverchair: Frogstomp

Yes, this is the CD with the green frog on the cover. Most of you probably remember the song "Tomorrow" by the lyrics "You're gonna wait 'til, fat boy, fat boy, wait 'til tomorrow." And some of you even probably wondered what the hell happened to that band. Well, this Aussie trio, led by Daniel Johns, has actually had 3 much less successful follow-ups to this album. Fact is, frontman Daniel Johns, perhaps overcome by rock stardom at the tender age of 16, became anorexic (as referenced in "Ana's Song" on a later album). Nevertheless, this album was very similar in sound to the grunge movement of its time, but it was also decidedly distinct in style, and the mature-sounding vocals of 16 year old Johns were deep and soothing compared to his raspier counterparts in Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam), Chris Cornell (Soundgarden), Zach de la Rocha (Rage), and the late great Lane Staley (Alice in Chains), to name a few. Just listen to the song "Shade" to get an idea of what I mean.

The lyrics are very mature for having been written by a 16 year old, and often biblical, as can be heard in track 1, "Israel's Son." Overall, some of the lyrics are admittadly ambiguous and predictable in terms of a rock/grunge album, but the lyrics are not really what count on this particular album. However, the lyrics on the seventh track, "Suicidal Dream," surely make up for any of the generic rock lyrics the album may contain. This is a creepy and disturbing account of teenage angst at its finest, and it makes me long for the days when Avril Lavigne, Ashley Simpson and Good Charlotte were not the all-encompassing voice of adolescent discontent.

Overall, this is one of the great 90's albums, and I don't believe it got the attention it deserved. It is excellent from start to finish, dynamic in sound, and original. Its stand-out tracks are "Israel's Son," "Suicidal Dream," "Tomorrow," and "Shade," however every song is good. There is no filler to be found on this album, and it is a shame that fame got to Daniel Johns, otherwise we might still be talking about Silverchair as one of the great bands out there. I would buy this album again if I lost it, and I would have to recommend buying it or downloading each and every track.