Young Modern review by Silverchair

• Released: Apr 3, 2007
Silverchair: Young Modern

From an Australian rock group who have sold more than 6 million records worldwide, have spawned at least one top 3 single from each of their albums, and have had each of their albums achieve the top spot on the Australian charts, the pressure imposed on the New South Wales group whilst creating Young Modern was unspeakably immense. Having broke into the music scene at the young age of 14, Silverchair's debut album, Frogstomp, reached the number one position in the Australian charts within a mere three weeks. From then on Silverchair were propelled into rock stardom recording another three hit albums before their latest effort, Young Modern, which broke two records upon its release: making Silverchair the first band ever to have an album chart at number one on iTunes through pre-orders before the album's release, and making Silverchair the first Australian band ever to receive five number one albums. Young Modern sees the band take a more experimental turn whilst still maintaining their classic Silverchair rock sound. Opening track Young Modern Station is a straight up rock song which can only be described as Silverchair at their best. Following on from the strong start of the album the first single Straight Lines sees a catchy, radio friendly piano driven ballad which is guaranteed to stay stuck in your head, much like a piece of chewing gum caught in some poor sod's hair. Silverchair do well to keep interest with songs like If You Keep Losing Sleep which sees the band make use of jazzy orchestral arrangements, funky bass lines, and thumping drumming. The song is definitely one of the best off the album, with a catchy chorus and interesting instrumentals which can only be described as James Bond with a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory twist.

With such interesting backing tracks, it is sometimes hard to pry yourself away from the instrumentals in order to catch the lyrical side of the album. But this is not to say that the lyrics themselves aren't interesting and meaningful. Mind Reader, an up tempo track with lyrics such as Still it seems funny; Stickin' like honey; Wrote my own article; Now I'm hummin'; She takes pictures through my lazy eyes; And I'm dreamin' girl it's your money gives an entertaining take on the frustration of knowing what your girl wants. Aside from the amusing lyrics, Daniel Johns proves he is able to write meaningful lyrics as well. On closing track All Across The World he sings, All across the world; There are things we need to forget and forgive; Sometimes we have to try and she'd the damage we don't need; Oh justice shake your head; I'm wasting my time, touching upon the problems of today.

Full of jazzy twists and funky bass lines, Young Modern is like no other record the band has ever done. A fun album to listen to, the fifth effort from the Australian chart topping group succeeds in maintaining interest throughout most of the album although, like any other record these days, fillers like Waiting All Day treat you to a slice of boredom. Although a fine listen, it is easy to see why some fans of Silverchair may not agree with such an experimental and different album. The orchestral arrangements are thoroughly enjoyable to listen to, although after a while they may seem a bit over-the-top and trying. For a band with rocking hits such as Freak and Anthem for the Year 2000, this album does seem a little less -rocky and a little more- cheesy at points. Apart from this, even if the album does isolate some old fans, on the whole it is the type of record that would appeal to a wider audience.

freakboy
    gd work silverchair! they're just getting better n better wif their music!
    slash6464
    heard of karvivool?
    recliner33
    Straight up rock song? I laughed so hard when I heard that. The guy that wrote this review obviously doesn't know what rock is. If you want a straight up rock song then listen to no association, the lever, israel's son or spawn again. I like all of silverchairs albums except for this one. They seem to have been getting worse and worse ever since they were in their prime with freakshow.
    WithrnRose
    ok THEBIGAL obviously knows absolutely nothing about music. Anyone who says musically or vocally silverchair were better during Frogstomp have the mentality of a 14 year old, which oh! surprisingly was how old silverchair were when they wrote frogstomp. Get out of 1995 and join us in the new millenium people! Silverchair is one of the only bands to survive that era of time and it is because of the fact that they have continued to grow musical and experiment and try new things with each album. None of their albums have the same style, they are all so different and diverse. Young Modern is a breath of fresh air in the world of music today, and anyone with any knowledge or skill in music can clearly hear that. The lyrics are more meaningful and poetic, his vocal are absolutely breathtaking, and the band has a more dynamic sound. Young Modern is definitely recommended for fans of intelligent meaningful music. For new fans I recommend you start out with "If You Keep Losing Sleep," "Low," and "Mind Reader."
    cat_basket13
    life wasted taht was a hilarious comment LOLOL i love straight lines and their newer orchestral stuff. havent heard much of this album tho. most people here pick their dads ASS holes with sporks then lick it clean because they are FUCKED THE FUCK UP
    ESPM1000
    My opinion (and that's all it is) is that Silverchair like every band/musician can make whatever kind of music they like... people can listen to the stuff they do like and don't listen to the stuff they don't like. If a band does not change AT ALL they will sound stale (like Blink 182). Like most people complaining here I liked Silverchair's first 2 albums, but think a song like "Emotion Sickness" is one of their best. I believe Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) is music in human form... to me he has been able to produce amazing music that varies incredibly and is always the first band that comes to mind when talking about bands' old music vs. new music. Regurgitator (Australian band) released the album "Unit" which was blindingly different to their previous music... the opening track is "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff". Awesome band (until after this album hehe)... Listen to whatever you like... and don't complain about the rest. Who knows, it might inspire you to make some music of your own.
    Pukka-VCU
    No denying this album was done well, no matter whether you like it or not. Having said that, I'd probably never listen to it again cause Silverchair no longer makes music I find enjoyable. If you really want to see a band that has "evolved their sound and matured" properly, just listen to the Foo Fighters discography. And to WithrnRose, there are plenty of bands that survived the 90's that have done it much more successfully (both financially and artistically) than Silverchair.
    sweet mouli
    itry_itry wrote: Heard of kisschasy?
    Seen them live but wish i had my 15 bucks back...
    titsmcgee852
    itry_itry wrote: sweet mouli : slash6464 wrote: Rock God #1 wrote: marco16 wrote: silverchair are by far the best australian band at the moment. new album is awesome, at first i was a bit ify but the more i listened the better it got. although the sound is a little popish it is like nothing i ave heard before. silverchair have expanded their variety of sound and come up with yet another great original album 5 stars heard of Wolfmother...although they've only brought one album out...I pick them over silverchair (albeit begrudgingly). heard of karvivool? Toatally agree with karnivool. Wolfmother are overated. Butterfly effect also rule Heard of kisschasy?
    heard of midnight juggernauts? lol
    Dazza
    all of you idiots sitting here paying out on silverchair ... get a life. THEY WERE 15 WHEN THEY RELEASED FRGOSTOMP . now u cant sit there and tell me that your musical tastes and influences havent changed since you were 15. Personally i think that they're maturing, and that their music is getting better for it. So all you losers who waste you time saying otherwise ... SHUT UP peace =]
    grinspoon69
    sweet mouli : slash6464 wrote: Rock God #1 wrote: marco16 wrote: silverchair are by far the best australian band at the moment. new album is awesome, at first i was a bit ify but the more i listened the better it got. although the sound is a little popish it is like nothing i ave heard before. silverchair have expanded their variety of sound and come up with yet another great original album 5 stars heard of Wolfmother...although they've only brought one album out...I pick them over silverchair (albeit begrudgingly). heard of karvivool? Toatally agree with karnivool. Wolfmother are overated. Butterfly effect also rule Heard of kisschasy? heard of midnight juggernauts? lol
    heard of grinspoon?
    guitarist_with_
    I feel sorry for the people who say they've gone 'downhill' since the beginning. It's arrogant and a shortsighting. This is real, brilliant music and it takes a lot of listens to notice how intricate the songwriting really is. 9.5/10. ..and to all the ****heads who think theyve gone soft, go see them live.
    Sebz
    The butterfly effect are the best Aussie band....and Karnivool havent had the nu-metal sound for a long time, and they are also very good I liked one song by silverchair, and that was freak, and ive never liked grunge so meh, they dont really interest me...i dont see what people like about them, theyre music is rather boring for the most part and daniel doesnt exactly have the best voice, but oh well and yes like the other dude said wolfmother are very much overrated ...and kisschasy..lol i cant tell if youre making a joke or not, but all ill say is lol
    illy93
    heard of operator please? (Jokes!) ...nah they're ok, but NOT the best band. they're not very original. silverchair are fukkin awsum, i saw them back in november. i am now convinced that if natalie imbruglia isn't impregnated soon that i will hav daniel johns' babies (lol...hope they don't get rabies).
    Pitbull_BabyAna
    I am a total Chair Head, and one thing I've learned is to Expect the Unexpected from their music. All the comments about their music taking a down slide are just showing their ignorance. I highly doute that any of you are the same person you were or think the same as you did when you were 15. So why are you expecting Daniel, Ben, and Chris to still be making grundge music. GRUNDGE IS DEAD!!!!! Its not coming BAck!! Marilyn Manson destroyed that genre with one big black Swoop of the mic!!! Nore do I care to listen to any more anxiety driven grundge. Young Modern has immense energy, and a song for every mood. It uplifts and enlighten's. With Confident and Strong lyrics. You can sense the importance of Authentic Instrument Use. Rather than most artist who choose to have others write their material. Daniel has choosen to be uniquely Daniel. And Silverchair will make music that is exactly that MUSIC!!! If you dont like Silverchair then why are wasting your time to down them. They have quiet a bit of fans, and they really dont need your support when they have so many of their own fans. This album is amazing and just another example of just how diverse they really are!!
    anty
    haha heard of led zepplin, pink floyd, heard of the 70s? yep I can hear them asking for their riffs back
    Bunyip
    you my friend are a herbitual line stepper lol
    roundwoundsound
    this album is pop??? i've read discriptions elsewhere that say it's alt/art rock..i was going to give it a try,but i'm NOT looking for a pop album.i didn't like silverchair's post grunge stuff either.guess i'll try that diarama shit
    slash6464
    i hate this album, it sounds like a crap version of the beatles from the strawberrie fields forever days.
    Life Wasted
    kbr wrote: i think everyone in here is gay and sucks their own penises. or vags if youre female.
    So what dose that make you?
    Life Wasted
    Jerry Seinfeld wrote: slash6464 wrote: Rock God #1 wrote: marco16 wrote: silverchair are by far the best australian band at the moment. new album is awesome, at first i was a bit ify but the more i listened the better it got. although the sound is a little popish it is like nothing i ave heard before. silverchair have expanded their variety of sound and come up with yet another great original album 5 stars heard of Wolfmother...although they've only brought one album out...I pick them over silverchair (albeit begrudgingly). heard of karvivool? you mean the band that didn't get the memo that nu-metal was out?
    And dont forget that the "hit" women's riff was stolen from the Doors Roadhouse blues
    Mihyaeru
    without stupid orchestral I hanv't head this album so cant commento n the orchestral parts so I'm hoping you mean the orchestral parts on tihs labum r stupid not that all orchestral aprtsi n all songs r stupid becos orchestral music is beauitful and can greatly enhance a song. Examples would be when Dream Theater have used orchestras live enhancing their music or in recorded songs such as Sacficied Sons, and Octavarium But as far as Silverchair go I preferred their older stuff from Freakshow and Neon Ballroom after that kinda went off em with Diorama not my thing ah well, plentym ore bands out theri to enjoy
    thereverendsoup
    burn the stars : ...heroin killed grunge
    No, the recording industry did. Death by oversaturation. Grunge was the hair metal of the 90's.
    BenFoffenbock
    This is one of the worst CD's i have ever listened to
    It's a slap in the fac to there inital fan base
    K.cobain_RIP
    thebigal wrote: This is one of the worst CD's i have ever listened to. In fact i only got through 7 songs before i threw the CD out the window whislt driving. I was abig fan of Silverchairs early stuff. classics like Israles Son, Freak, amd so forth. But all down hill from there. Dont waste your money. I can't belive that some people have rated thsi album highly. It's a slap in the fac to there inital fan base.
    TOTALLY AGREE! Sliverchair SOLD OUT im sorry there old stuff was awsome frogstomp was a sexual album now is this teeny bopping pop stuff. bring back the days of freak and israel's son. i have been a fan since since 1995-96 they lost me as soon as i heard straight lines then i heard some more of the album and wished that johns would just start rocking and play some overdriven guitar, instead of singing like a 13 year old girl to a pop song.
    Jozef23
    If Silverchair sold out, they would still be playing Grunge for you little whingers.
    sweet mouli
    gitaarsnaar
    This album is a disaster. After I heard straight lines I was afraid, After I've heard the rest the disappointment was complete. Not one song I could enjoy Will they ever make another good song?
    fubu4545
    Some people would call it "maturing".
    They got the wrong way with "maturing". They could go on a way of heavier sounding (like sounding on "Lever"), could make the music more difficult (guitar parts, bass, drums. without stupid orchestral stuff). But they "grown" in POP. Awful.
    EmilyTStrange
    I only started getting into Silverchair like late 06. So i'm not really like an old school fan, but personally I think their old stuff is better. This album is a bit too poppish i think anyway.
    SicSeb
    ^Jokester Anyways, didn't know they (Silverchair) were still alive
    kbr
    wesciante
    silverchair was never grunge, they tried to be when it was popular but fell quite far from it. Pop-punk Tools
    Jerry Seinfeld
    you mean the band that didn't get the memo that nu-metal was out?
    °lUKA.V
    Ah jizas.. get over it.. Young Modern is masterpiece.. if you want new frogstomp put it into cd player and jam on those songs.. There is plenty of space in chair buss for others.. And no.. they didnt sold out.. My chemical romance, Linkin Park and other shitty american bands did.. ou I MUST BE EMO.. And since when is pop a bad thing? I mean are beatles like bad? Are the cure bad? Is bowie bad? Are Flaming Lips bad? Just cause it's not frogstomp doesn't means it's bad.. And people judging album just because it's sounds different .. i mean thats crazy.. They're sound changes drasticaly but In my opinion that's great.. They allways push up the limits.. Listening to Chairs album is allways a chalenge.. You know they prepared something for you and you just have to find out what.. And the fact that I'm playing that record since came out almoust everyday speaks alot.. It's thrue it's getting better with every repeat.. If you wanna listen the same songs every album go to record store and buy Nickelback and then jam in your car.. See this is like SOLD OUT.. I'm not saying that everyone must like Young modern.. just dont act like a dickhead and criticize album cause it's not frogstomp.. weirdness is not for everyone.. HAWK! erm.. sorry baut gramary.. I'm not north american scum (lcd soundsystem)
    synyster86
    I was a massive fan of the chair back in the day... but they kinda lost me at diorama. Some people are calling it "maturing", but im calling it selling out, this is pure pop crap for teeny bopping 13 year olds. Parkway drive best Aus band at the moment imo
    Emenius Sleepus
    BenFoffenbock wrote: This is one of the worst CD's i have ever listened to I haven't actually listened to the album, but Straight Lines is an awesome song, even if it has been overplayed on the radio. It can't possibly be one of the worst CDs ever. It's a slap in the fac to there inital fan base Some people would call it "maturing". If they released a grunge-y album, people would say that they haven't changed or progressed and that they are a one-trick pony still stuck in the 90s. On the other hand, release an album like this with piano and orchestral arrangements that show off their versatile musical abilities and they get slaughtered. Silverchair can't win. People change their musical tastes as they grow up; I liked 80s music as a kid, but these days I prefer music with a distinct lack of synthesizer. Bands do this too. Remember, these guys started out as kids, and now they're adults; obviously their musical style will change as they grow older. Deal with it. Wooh that was long.
    The problem isn't that they have "matured musically and are getting slaughtered for it" but that the new material sounds uninspired "intelligent rock" for 50+ audiences. It's boring and lacks the spark and energy that made Silverchair so good on their early work. I'll keep to Frogstomp and Freakshow kthx The feature review is well written, and covers the points quite well. Good work
    itry_itry