18 Candles: The Early Years review by Silverstein

• Released: May 30, 2006
Silverstein: 18 Candles: The Early Years

The first song I heard by this band was "Smashed Into Pieces," which I liked maybe the first three times I heard it. I didn't really like this band based on my opinion of that one song. But, one day, me and my friend Ben were hangin out in his car and he put in this CD. Dude, as soon as I heard "Waiting Four Years" I was hooked. I was suprised when he told me this was Silverstein. I love the clean guitar parts on this CD. They're fun to play and sound awesome. They used to be awesome back in the day. They actually remind me of early Thursday. Even more specific, they remind me of the song "Ian Curtis" by Thursday.

The lyrics are alright I guess. A lot of them, actually maybe all of them are about relationships which is OK. Better than singing about politics or other stuff I don't care about. The singer's voice sounds kinda sketchy on the first 6 tracks but that's alright. I actually prefer that over all the bands that transform the way they're voices sound on a computer. I also think it makes the music a little more interesting to listen to. That probably makes me sound half-retarded but I'm kinda tired of all these guys that make they're voices sound good and then sound horrible live. I don't really like the screaming on "Bleeds No More." Don't get me wrong. I love screaming. It's just that these guys scream wierd. At least that's my opinion. I'll just give it an 8.

This is the first CD I've bought by this band so I can't really compare it to anything else except Smashed Into Pieces which was aweful. The first six tracks can only be described as amazing in my opinion. The guitar parts are so awesome. But, the whole CD is good. If I lost this CD I would definitely buy it again.

SkateNDestroy39
    this band sounds nothin like green day. or at least it doesn't sound like Dookie. maybe they sound like even earlier green day. and yeah Rise Against is AWESOME. but i haven't heard they're new CD. I'll probably buy it before the week is over though.
    mAFIa1039
    Yep you are right they don't sound like green day very much. what the hell was i thinking? i guess the lyrics are kinda alike maybe. i dont know though. o well.
    yosefgamble
    This CD is awesome I like hearing Silverstein's old songs, They're really good. I listened to this CD everyday over the Summer last year.