A Shipwreck In The Sand review by Silverstein

• Released: Mar 31, 2009
Silverstein: A Shipwreck In The Sand

I acquired Silverstein's newest album, unknowing of what I was getting myself into. After opening it and listening to the first track "A Great Fire" I was completely enthralled with it. The screaming was intense and in my face, the guitars kicked in and were mean, guttural, meaty and vicious, the drums were loud, there, present, and very well executed. The singing, when its clean in songs like "I Knew I Couldn't Trust You" and "A Great Fire" Is beautiful, calming, and very catchy. The split of screaming and singing is well executed and feels right, and matched well with the tempo. The lyrics of the songs seem to string together well, and paint a story of a soldier. It seems to me that it shows the people that he meets, past lovers, and future decisions. The story is cool, and could be very well devised into a novel. The story and music provide excellent inspiration for aspiring musicians. Overall great sound and delivery, Best album yet because of this.

The lyrics as stated above, seem to tell a story of a soldier reflecting on his life basically. Yet the lyrics, with a story like that seem to very much reflect on today's government in possibly a bad way. I'm not saying that its a bad thing, because I'm not for the government, so its a nice change of pace to find a band whom looks at the government in a way that I do. The lyrics pace well, and reminds me of water. When the music gets harder and rougher, Shane Told (Lead vocalist of Silverstein) Screams. When it flows well and is light and catchy, he sings cleanly for the most part. Shane Told gives an excellent range and shows his vocal talent in this album. In one song he'll sing at a high octave, the next he'll start out, rough, and ready to scream only to achieve that in three seconds. (Like from "I knew I couldn't Trust You" to "Born Dead") The singer's skills are just simply amazing.

I love this album. Although the one track I could care less for is "A Shipwreck in the Sand" Its too much of a contrast and doesn't flow with the rest of the album, I think. So, I usually skip to "I am the Arsonist" Which has awesome licks and lyrics. So far it is my favorite album of the year, which contends against With Roots Above and Branches Below. I love the sound of the album, the artwork of the cover, and Shane Told's voice. It fits so well, that it would seem imperfect with anyone else's voice. Easily said, that if I lost this album, or if it were stolen, I would hurry to buy it again. I think that this is a must have album for those who are looking for something new, or anyone who is into any type of rock music.